Mac Vs Windows

Discussion in 'Computers and Hardware' started by John Crane, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+985
    Though I'm an Apple guy, I've run both systems for years and both of them will do what you need. It comes down to cost and preference.

The initial price for a Windows machine will be less than a comparable Apple system. However the cost of ownership for Apple systems is lower. Software tends to be cheaper, OSX versions are often free, and the hardware has a longer useful lifespan before upgrading is required.

The rest is really a matter of personal preference. I much prefer the Apple environment for any sort of serious work. I find the interface (both generally, and throughout all the applications) more comfortable and consistent. I can focus on getting things done, rather than running the computer. The suite of tools that come installed is also more comprehensive and useful than what you get with Windows.

When it comes to backups (which everyone should do) there is no comparison. I've suffered a hard drive failure in the middle of a time-sensitive project. Even a good backup system, getting my Windows machine up and running would have lost me a day of work. When it happened on my iMac, I was up and running in the time it took to reboot, since my backup software creates a bootable copy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Enthusiast

+30
    Ran Windows at work and I run a mixed environment at home.

My vote goes to Mac given your requirements of video editing, but there are always exceptions. At the end of the day, the Apple ecosystem is more stable, generally quicker, and the hardware seems to outlast Windows. I'm running a Macbook Pro from 2012 and I have friends that saw theirs last comfortably for 6-7 years. My last few Windows laptops did well to make it 4 years. Mac also just seems to work better for design.

If you factor in the cost of ownership as Nev_Dull says above, you can generally wring another year or two out of it. That alone generally makes the premium you pay for Mac hardware more than worth it.

The only exception might be if you plan to work heavily in the business realm. I'm well aware that there is a Mac Office version (as well as all of the cloud alternatives), but certain environments still do better as far as compatibility when working with other Windows users.

3. Pooosia

Pooosia Aspirant

+0
    Both variants will be good for you. It only depends on your taste. if you want a good-looking mac or just good technically Windows

4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+900
    I was fine with windows until 10,

I use 7 at work everyday 90% of my job is using Microsoft Office Programs for a world leading company.

I bought a windows 10 desktop and after one week of use , i boxed it up and bought a Mac its been a spiral from there , 4 iPhones , macbook pros, iPads, 3 apple watches etc etc etc, total apple fan boy , now at home everything (but decal plotter) is Apple.

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,060
    I have given a warning do not post warez.

6. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,307
    Lisp Machines > Gentoo > OpenBSD > Plan9 > Haiku > CP/M > MSDOS > Windows NT 5.0 > MacOS9 > OS X aka IpaidforBSD

Seriously, with current hardware there is no excuse to be running anything from Microsoft and Apple on bare metal. Even gaming can be done in a virtual machine with acceptable performance now a days. Windows and MacOS are basically the same thing now and neither offer anything that can't be done better in a free operating system. Even if you need the proprietary software for work you can run it in a virtual machine without loss of performance.

What we need is a reset to get rid of the millions of lines of junk code sitting between the user and the hardware. We need to get back to OSs that aren't too large for one person to run through the code and audit. We need to stop buying hardware with proprietary firmware and drivers. We need to cut all this fat we've been dealing with for the last two decades and get back to computers closer to the machines we had in the 80s/early 90s.

7. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+689
    I primarily use macOS, but very recently I've started running Windows 10 in a VM, after I quickly realized that:
    1. I need to test in a Windows environment - particularly in Edge.
    2. I have a lot of games I want to play, but require Windows.
    I generally prefer macOS, though.

8. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+22
    At this point, I can't afford the Mac or any of the Apple products for that matter. Plus I don't have service centers around town either.

9. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+110
    I'd never pay for a mac, unless it was for free. and then I'd sell it and get a 'normal' laptop for a portion of the profit.

I've done graphic / design work on Windows machines for almost 2 decades. All I need is a 17 inch screen laptop, with some decent specs and I'm free to create my masterpieces :D

10. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+580
    I get the latest models for free (I bought one once though) and I've never liked them. They've made me good money though. :D I guess I'm just used to Windows. I haven't had a problem with viruses since 2006 I think and I'm yet to experience a crash on W10 (it's been 3 years since using it).

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,184

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,184
    mi5mkurbrj231.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,013
    Pro Stand for 1K?
    Very soon can buy the whole Pro for the starting price of 6K.
    Top of the line Pro: 33K as the bare minimum...

I'm getting ready for it:

apreviews.123rf.com_images_highwaystarz_highwaystarz1512_highw4f36628fa69bbf8c6bb9135e3b601820.jpg

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,184
    Yeah, the price is so ridiculous that even the fanboys gasped in shock at the announcement event. That price, for a stand, is unbelievably arrogant.

15. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+975
    The cats at Apple ain't dumb! And they price their stuff accordingly.

"Money for nothing and your checks for free..."

16. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+580
    When I first saw this I honestly thought it was a parody. Mr. Tim Apple is no Steve Jobs. The company has been going downhill since he took over.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,184
    jbzfec23xr231.jpg

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.