Loosing juice with duplicate forum pages

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by yameth, Feb 18, 2019.

1. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    Four months ago I wanted to change platform and went ahead and imported everything (topics, users) from SMF 2.0 at root level, to IPS 4 at sub directory /community.

Initially I intended to redirect the SMF pages to IPS but instead locked SMF and left it as was and activated IPS which became the live forum. In Google search console I submitted the IPS sitemap immediately an removed the old one for SMF.

IPS works fine and all is well except Google search prefers the old SMF links and I think I need to stop that so that traffic is sent to IPS. I could delete SMF but I am not sure how to go about with Google.

Any ideas how I should go about it because I think I messed up.

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,184
    No way around it except redirects if you want Google not prefer the original over the copy. Deleting SMF is a huge mistake, you'll lose inbound page rank from any external links.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+26
    You shouldn't have left the SMF installation at all on your webspace, instead you should have replaced it with IPS, then IPS would have taken care of the old SMF links and it would have redirected it to the proper IPS pages immediately after the migration to IPS.
    Anyway,... IPS converter stores all the data, so if it's still in place, you could create some custom scripts to redirect your old SMF links to the proper IPS4 page.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    Thanks for the info. I am now looking into redirecting with custom scripts.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.