Featured Looks like some people are trying to be overnight millionaires selling Xenforo 2 mods!

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Soulwatcher, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:26 AM.

1. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    Looks like some people are trying to be overnight millionaires selling Xenforo 2 mods! And I know that something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. But some of these mods have insane pricetags attached to them. Its no wonder why people are not in a hurry to upgrade to Xenforo 2!

2. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+46
    Saw that. Best thing, don't buy from them. Hate greedy people.

3. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    Oh don't worry I am not and I don't know how many people will buy those mods and if they do, they are crazy or make a lot of money off of their forum.

4. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    Are Forum softwares and plugins really still that popular? I should consider continue working on my forum software. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+952
    I would think that at first, with competition relatively narrow, prices will be higher. As competition grows, this will drive prices down. Often we pay a premium to be on the leading edge. :)

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    Its a turnoff for sure, and could deter modders from releasing free ressources.

Why do so and get hammered in support requests when you could charge money and support only a handful ?

7. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,116
    Andy started charging for all his XF2 resources...

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,705
    What add-ons specifically? This really hasn’t changed from XF1 from what I see.

He charges $25 to access all his add-ons. Can’t blame someone wanting paid for their time though. What I don’t like to see is price tags on simple CSS changes thrown into an add-on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+741
    AndyBAndyB 's price seems more than fair.

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    You mean it's a single payment that gives you access to all his mods, not 25$ for each?

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,705
    Correct

12. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,152
    Yes... apparently there's no way to indicate this directly using the standard XF Resource Manager. Some of DigitalpointDigitalpoint's add-ons are similarly priced (i.e. become a subscriber and get any/all of the add-ons).

13. Joeychgo

+3,116
    I'm not questioning that. Just pointing out that he also is now charging.

14. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    I know I am going to run as little as mods as I can, I will not pay these crazy prices for mods. If you bought a lot of these mods you would end up paying 4X the price of the Xenforo software itself.

15. Joeychgo

+3,116
    I pretty much do...

16. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+860
    Could we be a little more vague as who we're talking about please???

I don't see anything to overly priced here?
    (although I do agree with SteveSteve - paid addons for every small front-end edit is lame)
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/xenforo-2.42/?type=paid

Since a few mentioned AndyBAndyB I'd suggest reading this
    https://www.xf2addons.com/threads/what-your-25-00-dollar-premium-membership-includes.1/
    Code:
    Q: Can I download all the available XF2 addons?
    A: Yes.
    I picked it up once I started playing with beta, one price for all of his mods is a steal!
    Also Andy has been around the forum world for a few years, from what I've seen he's a good developer.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 2:06 PM
  17. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Well indeed, I've seen some pushed a bit lately, but IMHO nothing completely OTT?
    Same ^^ we have a lot of customised add-ons and they've cost a small fortune over the years. Plus of course some that are available to all too. But for us to make the jump to XF2, will cost a fair whack as we have to have every single one ported over. Whether they're our custom ones that need doing or dev ones available on XF already, for us each one will have to be done and that won't be a small change job. Still, hopefully it will be worth it.

But back to the actual topic, I don't really see that many which are too costly? Some may seem slightly overpriced for one person but to another it may be reasonable.

Agreed....

18. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,525
    A lot of the cosmetic simple things that are being charged for are things we typically provide HTML/CSS to for free to our clients :D.

I am looking forward to more larger add-ons coming out though, stuff like Bob's plugins :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Well yeah you'd expect that to be the case really, so that's what it is then? :whistle:

20. Joeychgo

+3,116
    from talking to bob, it seems those may take awhile...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted