VPS Looking for a good/secure WooCommerce host.

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Goodfella, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+217
    Greetings all,

Im working on a new project and ill be running Wordpress + WooCommerce on the new project. Ill be selling physical goods on the website. What I'm looking for is a good and secure host.

For a project like this could i just use a VPS + SSL or is there something else more specific i would need to process payments?

2. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+217
    So doing some reading looks like ill need SSL and PCI Compliance. Any good recommendations? A Small Orange offers a decent plan, any others?

3. m0ldy

m0ldy Participant

+8
    I had hostgator before, they are well known and the hosting worked great. Right now I'm trying to be budget minded so I'm going with free hosting at x10hosting until my forum gets big enough.

4. Squidix-Sreenath

Squidix-Sreenath Participant

+3
    every hosting companies can host your eCommerce sites. It is better to google and find some rating for hosting companies that concentrate on eCommerce Hosting Plans

5. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+217
    I will not be hosting a forum.

I asked for recommendations but thanks for the input.

6. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,335
    I would look into Hivelocity, I used them for four years without issue. I did recently drop them though, only because I could not afford the server anymore, otherwise I would still be with them.

7. Chiggins

Chiggins Neophyte

+1
    Years ago I had a eCommerce store which I hosted through JustHost. I sold the company years ago. I am wanting to get back into the business. I had few issues with JustHost but back then it was actually pretty good for speed and reliability.

On the my question, I am looking to start out in Shared hosting. I have done some reading on this forum and some different research. I am trying to have the following things..

1.) Use Wordpress with Woocommerce
    2.) Have a dedicated IP
    3.) Private SSL (I do not really want to have my clients see someone else's website up top through a Shared SSL)
    4.) reasonable reliability and speed

I have seen Godaddy (Ultimate Plan $7.49/month for 12months than 14.99 at renew) and HostGator (Business Plan at $11.87/month than $16.95). I have read a lot and seen how HostGator is owned by someone that everyone hates. Also Godaddy is good at registrying but not hosting...

So my question is can I get a real idea if for a smaller Ecommerce / Blog selling higher end products (50-100), will starting out with one of these hosts be ok? If not can I get a suggestion?

8. Chiggins

Chiggins Neophyte

+1
    I have also based on the guide by this forums admin... Looking at MDD Hosting and would love to hear people opinions on it. I will be comparing it tonight, I kinda like how instead of claiming "Unlimited" that they give their limits. So other people thoughts on MDD Hosting also.

9. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    I'm on BuyShared which is run by the very nice people at Frantech (who also owns BuyVM). $5 per year for hosting a site, with Let's Encrypt. Couldn't be happier. It seems to good to be true but I have great experiences with them, and the support staff are very friendly.

MDD Hosting also seems good, a lot of people have been recommending them here and on other forums, so they must be doing something that's worth noting.

10. Elliot02

Elliot02 Aspirant

+11
    Hello TAZ,

I'm developing an online store for my company and I am having trouble even developing this thing with WooCommerce because it runs very slow at times. I am on bottom tier shared hosting from Namecheap, I need to know if I should upgrade this bad boy to a VPS or Dedicated platform?

To put things into perspective, I am running a heavily customized WooCommerce + WordPress with quite a few plugins. I am running into slowdowns adding things to carts, or when multiple users are attempting to place orders.

Please let me know what you think. I'd love to continue to use NameCheap as I do love their service.

11. Gosu

Gosu Aspirant

+26
    Why not just develop on localhost or linux virtualbox? You can buy a vps on linode for only 5$.

1) Develop on localhost then push your commits to git
    2) Buy a VPS on linode or digitalocean
    3) Pull your git commits and deploy there.

12. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,105
    Namecheap's hosting is basic, so youd do well to look into a proper webhost offering higher ressource allocation and caching.

Shared hosting could suffice in the beginning but consider the performance impact of your customizations.

13. Alex Sanchez

Alex Sanchez Guest

+0
    Hello Everyone,
    As many ecommerce websites are using WooCommerce, so what is the best cloud hosting going to be for such a website?
    I decided to using aws cloud services as a host but integration of aws server not an easy it required a technical expertise, so what can I do directly host my store into aws server or try managed hosting?
    Any suggestion will be appreciated.

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,020
    Well i would look further because there expensive if you shop i think you can save 25%. Also if you need a shop go with hosting that supports this from a to z else managed hosting is not what you want. While they support cache servers its more then offering that. Most likely software issues that makes your shop is more likely to happen then server issues. Cloud based hosting is very robust except the shop software.

15. HostColor

HostColor Participant

+5
    Have found a solutions with AWS? If you haven't you'd better switch to any web host that provides support and managed services at reasonable cost. The lack of support is a major issue on the the major clouds.

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,577
    I'm also wondering about WooCommerce VPS hosting. I need one with a datacenter in the EU.
    Vultr may be an option. Also looking at Digital Ocean, Linode, Hertzner.

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,020
    Hetzner is good when i ran multiplesites i had a dedicated server with them there connection where always fast and reliable in that time only one major issue that lasted a hour (bad routing). The plus is that everything is done with images so its easy to do your own setup on a bare instalation.

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,577
    It would be nice to select a host that has one click woocommerce installs or other infrastructure that shows they are geared up for WooCommerce hosting.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.