Liquid Web acquires WiredTree

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Jim McClain, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+617
    A few days ago, I got an email from Liquid Web, Inc. I am not a customer of theirs. I checked into them quite a while back because TAZ recommended them through an affiliate link in the footer, but their prices were not within my budget. I was quite surprised see the subject and first paragraph:

Do any of you have any experience with this company? Is this a good thing or not so good? They claim the prices won't change and make some other promises, but I am skeptical. I've worked in marketing before and I fully expect that prices will increase in the next 6 months or a year.

I do know they will be moving me to a new server and issuing a new IP address very soon. I always worry about breaking in a new IP address - and where it has been before, as far as blacklists are concerned.

Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+789
    Yeah sad news - been with Wiredtree for 8+ yrs and recommended them to alot of my clients who have been with them for 5+ yrs too. There's a discussion thread you should follow at WHT https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374. The experiences posted there aren't looking good though.

Liquidweb had a stellar rep but there were bought out too a private equity firm, Madison Dearborn Partners https://techcentury.com/2015/05/27/liquid-web-bought-out-by-chicago-firm-founding-ceo-to-step-down/

Other users experiences:
    Currently, advising my clients at Wiredtree what their options are. Some are already planning to move from Wiredtree/LiquidWeb :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+789
    more interesting reading https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374&p=9832690#post9832690

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  4. Host4Geeks

Host4Geeks Participant

+30
    This actually happened more than a couple of weeks back but both parties stayed pretty silent about the whole ordeal.

5. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Fan

+52
    I'd say that's pretty common especially if they're trying to maintain the same forward-facing presence. I.e. if they can manage to do the acquisition without customers actually noticing that's good...

IMHO honesty/transparency is better - but I understand why they wouldn't be as well.

6. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Wiredtree was good for the short bit I was there for, but they were a bit expensive.

If I were a wiredtree customer I would move away, didn't like liquid web and their pricing structure.

7. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+630
    Their support is now a bunch of rookies.

Tickets that used to be fixed in 15 minutes have become 4 day problems.

WiredTree was tied for the best host I've had in 20 years. It's sad to see what happened when they were bought out.

They lost a good paying customer over a $10 fix that they couldn't figure out for 4 days.

No way in hell I can trust a business with that level of support.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.