Liquid Web acquires WiredTree

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Jim McClain, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+465
    A few days ago, I got an email from Liquid Web, Inc. I am not a customer of theirs. I checked into them quite a while back because TAZ recommended them through an affiliate link in the footer, but their prices were not within my budget. I was quite surprised see the subject and first paragraph:

Do any of you have any experience with this company? Is this a good thing or not so good? They claim the prices won't change and make some other promises, but I am skeptical. I've worked in marketing before and I fully expect that prices will increase in the next 6 months or a year.

I do know they will be moving me to a new server and issuing a new IP address very soon. I always worry about breaking in a new IP address - and where it has been before, as far as blacklists are concerned.

Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    Yeah sad news - been with Wiredtree for 8+ yrs and recommended them to alot of my clients who have been with them for 5+ yrs too. There's a discussion thread you should follow at WHT https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374. The experiences posted there aren't looking good though.

Liquidweb had a stellar rep but there were bought out too a private equity firm, Madison Dearborn Partners https://techcentury.com/2015/05/27/liquid-web-bought-out-by-chicago-firm-founding-ceo-to-step-down/

Other users experiences:
    Currently, advising my clients at Wiredtree what their options are. Some are already planning to move from Wiredtree/LiquidWeb :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    more interesting reading https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374&p=9832690#post9832690

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  4. Host4Geeks

Host4Geeks Participant

+30
    This actually happened more than a couple of weeks back but both parties stayed pretty silent about the whole ordeal.

5. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Fan

+38
    I'd say that's pretty common especially if they're trying to maintain the same forward-facing presence. I.e. if they can manage to do the acquisition without customers actually noticing that's good...

IMHO honesty/transparency is better - but I understand why they wouldn't be as well.

6. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+275
    Wiredtree was good for the short bit I was there for, but they were a bit expensive.

If I were a wiredtree customer I would move away, didn't like liquid web and their pricing structure.

7. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    Their support is now a bunch of rookies.

Tickets that used to be fixed in 15 minutes have become 4 day problems.

WiredTree was tied for the best host I've had in 20 years. It's sad to see what happened when they were bought out.

They lost a good paying customer over a $10 fix that they couldn't figure out for 4 days.

No way in hell I can trust a business with that level of support.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted