Leveraging likes

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by MagicalAzareal, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    This is something I learned partly from Jeff Atwood, but it is is often good to give members some sort of positive feedback when they make good contributions or even something as encouragement when they eke out something that is particularly good for them. It might not be good to give a mountain of likes for absolutely nothing however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    Sadly a lost art with many communities. "Liking" content is one of the best ways you can encourage those who bother to post (and particularly start threads) and show them they're valued. I've drifted away from many communities where reasoned responses that took ages to write get no feedback because what's the point in taking part if you're not valued?

Also in my community I make an effort to PM members from time to time if they make an amazing contribution or post or go beyond the call of duty to help another member.

I'd like to take this further with things like "Poster of the month" (Amazon voucher as a reward?).

Anyone else reward good contributors, and how?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    Reactions are standard on lot of community platforms or online commenting.

On Invision Community, we've had reactions for several versions now. You can customize the reactions to something other than the standard like, dislike, agree, thanks, etc. You can also customize if those likes give you positive reputation, neutral, or negative.

They can be used in a variety of ways. Probably the biggest is a Leaderboard feature that automates a competition every day, and winners can be notified that they won second place for the day based on the number of likes. It also shows the likes of different content items for customizable time periods (eg. Most liked gallery albums for last month or Most liked topics for last week). I love that flexibility because it's an easy way to find content that stands out for my monthly newsletter.

4. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    Invision Community really shines here.

The Leaderboard & "winning the day" as Joel R mentioned are easy, out of the box ways to motivate people.
    Reactions can also lead to "recommended replies" and other things.
    Users can have "reputation levels" auto-assigned & displayed in profiles.
    It's pretty robust.

We can also look at the reverse via reports (different, but similar to a negative reaction). Multiple reports can "auto" or "community" moderate, taking the load off staff, making members feel they can make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    You just need to be careful, otherwise you end up like one of those sites where they report bomb posts which they personally dislike, but which are 100% above-board.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.