Letting the Members vote to ban someone

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, Aug 14, 2018.

Tags:

Should Taz Ban fixer?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2018.
  1. Yes

68.4%
  2. No

31.6%
  1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
    so in a survivor island type of moderation attempt we are real close to putting one of our top posters in a poll for the membership to vote to ban or not.

as an experiment ill start a poll on this thread as an example

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
  3. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,746
    Nothing personal. I just think that, in general, people who start polls asking if they should be banned are most likely asking for it.

4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
    its experimental, its healthy to perform experiments on your projects its one way to identify ways to do things better

5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,577
    On one of the forums I help admin, the community is allowed to banish any member who becomes annoying to one forum on the site where bad threads get sent. The length of the banishment progresses, and after enough times, then the user is perma-banned. A 60%+ margin in the voting polls is required for the ban to stick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
    who votes the members or staff?

7. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
    come on friends! dont let the haters win :D

D5FCA892-D0E7-4B3B-BE3C-42E3BFF462DA.jpeg

8. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,577
    The polls are open to the entire community, and are open for 24 hours.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+953
    I think the IPS method of allowing ratings transfer to moderation is a good implementation.

Banning not so much. Any "vote" online can be manipulated too easy, and trying to prevent that would take more effort than it's worth.

10. ActionJackson

ActionJackson Neophyte

+2
    While someone can be an idiot, i dont think its a good enough reason for the ban. Now if they get constant reports suspend them. And if they keep doing it then yeah.

11. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,462
    There are probably ways to make this work at certain communities. Thread closure/deletion by member voting is probably more workable though.

12. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,404
    The big problem IMO is that some communities would have a clique that would ban together and ban others just for disagreeing with them. For example - a politics forum would end up being either a conservative or liberal forum ---

The idea of forums is multiple opinions / points of view. This would seem likely to impede that concept.

13. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,065
    I wonder how many picked No because...
    Your vote will be publicly visible.

Administrative action should not be subject to vote but sound thinking.
    I think the very idea of applying sanctions and limiting memberships should have a strict chain of responsibility. Including the memberbase in the process could only be seen as an attempt to deflect responsibility for the staff by removing members that otherwise might not be popular enough to be part of a group that actively defends their right to belong, and give a misleading impression that members can as a group force staff to do their bidding. Today we ban this guy, next week you delete this section and demote that admin. Eventually you will be forced to backpedal on that policy, even at the risk of angering then losing all those members...

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,840
    I don't like the idea of members voting on a ban. Not only can it be subject to personal grudges, but I think it comes across as a bit an unprofessional method of handling things.

15. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+844
    I have to agree with mysiteguymysiteguy that it shows a lack of professionalism -- and more, a lack of control. The admin and/or staff are supposed to run the site. Calling for a vote on something like banning a member says the admin isn't up to the job. We already see a problem with longterm members who start to think of themselves as ex-officio staff. This would just exacerbate that issue.

16. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+535
    Why don't though let your members vote for you, as admin?

It's not a real survival challenge if you have immunity ...

17. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+590
    havent they already done that by choosing to come and return to my forum

18. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,548
    None of those of us who aren't afraid of saying what we think and putting our name with it.
    fixerfixer should be banned just for riding a red/black scooter. :D

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,840
    I voted yes not because I really would like Fixer gone, but rather it felt appropriate for the topic!

20. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+844
    I didn't vote because I'm contrary.

edit: That's not true. I didn't vote because I couldn't be arsed.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.