Legality of phpBB 3 Forumotion Converter.

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by Anonymous, Apr 25, 2010.

1. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Well Proboards actually will go after you if you use converter on it, although a proboards converter is almost impossible to be found nowadays(luckily I still have one). I'd view this as loser's reaction though, getting mad at people who simply do not want to use their services will only make it even worse.

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,182
    Converters are legal and ethical for use on your own boards where exporting is prevented.
    Hosts like Proboards are free to offer compensation to the makers of exporters to entice them to not release such scripts, as they cannot hold it against users to move their data.

3. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    As far as I know, Proboards did not try to entice converter makers, instead they filed a lawsuit. Typical loser I'd say, thats apparently the best they can do.
    :coffee:

4. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    I read their cryptic terms of use. What percentage of people who sign up for a Proboards forum ever believe that the posts they generate on "their" own forum may include a claim by Proboards that they have a right to keep your posts up on their servers?

5. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    I bet the number is quite small, considering how most of them do not really think thoroughly when signing up on proboards. They probably were just expecting to have a fun experience, and then the forum grows with potential to become big boards. What a joy, but then they realize that their hopes have been killed by proboards right from the beginning. I definitely despise proboards for the business they are doing, while I also agree that its necessary for forum owners to truly understand the risk of the service provided by proboards. Free hosting aint really free after all, they will manage to find a way to earn something out of you.

6. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    I don't think that for a minute any of them thought that the fun experience would result in someone else having a claim to ownership of their site - regardless of whether or not it was just for fun.

7. ooo

ooo Neophyte

+0
    but this: http://help.forumotion.com/t6668-forumotion-s-forum-databases

Totally agree! they basically "trick" those people who don't know much about webhosting into using their service. most people think that they are setting up their own forums when they start them, but it turns out that they do not own the forums at all, they are running forumotions forums for forumotion( without getting anything in return).
    If people know all this, will they still set up a forum there, mostly likely not!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.