Legality of an Anime Streaming Site?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anonymous, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357
    You know as of the last couple of years, I've been watching more and more anime. One of favorites of all time is DBZ, so of course the new Dragon Ball Super is right up my alley as an example... But then I realized, the places where I watch these things are privately owned sites with embedded streams. And then I thought to myself, "Why not grab a piece of this pie?"

So my first thought was, how am I going to host the site? Well, Wordpress seemed functional enough for what I need this kind of site to do. Fine. Next, how to I monetize it? Well, I've already been using Adsense for a long time... Oh wait... Adsense doesn't seem to like hosting copyrighted content, NOR linking to sites that host copyrighted content...

And you know, then I go over to a site I used to frequent, AnimeSeason and see google ads. Some of them appear to possibly be self-served ads, but others do in fact seem to be hosted by Google. They've been around for years, and based on Traffic, AnimeSeason is probably worth millions of dollars. So how are they getting around this, when it would seem that the concept that I wish to use (same as theirs) appears to conflict with Adsense policy?

Now as far as I know (or remember), it has been upheld in court that simply embedding content on your site does not actually constitute copyright infringement because you are not hosting the content yourself, so I think I'm okay there. But the main issue is actually getting the site monetized. Certainly Adsense is going to be any of our best bets, but I just don't know if I can use it here... Any help?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,934
    This has been challenge very recently in the EU courts (Google 'GS Media v. Sanoma' for more info). I'm not sure what the finally outcome was but the initial ruling appeared to be that this would constitute copyright infringement if the linking/embedding was done for profit.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357

Shoot. :/

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357
    Guess I'd better find a different "business model" then... Still makes me wonder how Anime Season is even around, considering they're certainly for-profit.

And I guess this would apply to something like an adult tube site as well. You could probably get around it to some extent by allowing for claims and quickly taking down copyrighted content, but you can only keep up with that for so long... And the argument could also be made that you were well aware that users would be uploading copyrighted content to your website anyway, so you may still be liable...

Feels like you need a team of lawyers for everything nowadays... :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357
    Not that I mean to rant and keep posting, but if anyone were wondering, why am I taking this type of approach to a website, the truth is I'm not. Well, not at first.

I've tried working on several websites, put high-quality content on them etc, tried to promote them, and yet I can hardly get a few page views a day. In fact, more often than not, Adsense reports NO impressions, other than myself sometimes... It just seems so hopeless that I can't even get any traffic from Google.

My niches are actually really saturated already, but I tried from the beginning to improve on things I wasn't satisfied with on other sites, and that just doesn't seem to be enough... Feels like of hopeless. :(

And that's when I started exploring the above options. Video streaming, perhaps an adult tube site, and the like. But those include more legal risk and whatnot. Between a rock and a hard place. :/

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.