Kunena to MyBB

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by newbie27, Jan 13, 2015.

1. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    I'st possible? How hard? Can anyone teach me the way? How i wish someone could guide me all the way... :) Thanks

2. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,494
    I just did a Google search on this, what OTHER software could you convert over to before going to MyBB?
    Also if you had to pick from any other free source forum software?

Some things to look at, or you could talk to euantor cause he could give you more help than most. :)

3. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    Hi,

We don't offer an importer for Kunena, but it should be possible to migrate to SMF 2.0 (using this converter), then migrate from SMF to MyBB. I haven't tested the process, but I believe it should work :)

4. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    Wow guys! Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, im confident now to start converting it because i know you are there to guide me. :) I read already about converting it to smf then to my Mybb but was afraid if it's gonna work but looks like i have a go signal now to try it. Expect me for other follow up questions. Maybe ill try to test converting an smf forum to Mybb first then try kunena to SMF

5. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,494
    Anytime you need a question answer about MyBB or anything like that, it's always best to get them answer where a place can actually help you out and TAZ is one place I'd go for anything. :)

Doing tests don't hurt at all.

6. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    I'll try to use xampp to test it though i already forgot how to use it. Maybe i'll test first my inactive smf forum to mybb there then will try the kunena to smf. I'm just anxious about something that members will be needing to reset their passwords. I'm not sure if i have to email it to them or they just need to try to use the forget password option.

7. euantor

+407
    If SMF can import the passwords, MyBB has a login converter plugin that will convert old passwords (SMF) to new ones (MyBB). If that doesn't work, they will need password resets unfortunately.

8. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    Do you mean that the converter will automatically email them their new passwords? If ever it didnt work then i just have to post to use the forgot password option? Does anyone here or knows someone that converted their kunena forum? I will start now and ill post everything so others can use this as their reference. Please guide me. Just a newbie

1. I have xammp now and i downloaded the backups from my hosting and through akeeba.
    2.?

9. euantor

+407
    No, the converter will not reset passwords. Users will have to do that manually.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    I'm still having a hardtime converting it to smf. I have a thread about the problem so please also check the thread. If you can suggest any forum software that could convert it even it couldnt be converted to mybb. Im just so desperate now.

11. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,494
    What are you having problems with?

12. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
  13. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    Hello everyone... specially to you euantor .. (sorry dont know how to tag).

I converted now my kunena to smf but of course my member's havent reset their password yet in smf because im going to convert it straight to MyBB. Please guide me. I havent edited /resolve some small problems converting kunena to smf like the avatars of other members are oversized and the attached pics are not shown up. But when i tried to use other smf themes some shown up. I'm wondering if i can just continue converting it to smf because those are just small problems which can be fixed when already converted to MyBB?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  14. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    You have to type in @ and then, their username, like this for instance: euantor
    XenForo converts that into BBCode when the message is made.

15. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    I'm done with the merge but why the attachment pics dont show up? There's another link of the attachment below but you have to click and download it to see. Do i need to manually attach the pics? Or do i have to install a mod? I encounter this on smf before i convert it to mybb. Do i need to install a mod while im on smf so the pics will show here? Please guide me

[attachment=345]2013-07-1609.28.51.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=346]2013-07-1609.28.56.jpg[/attachment]

by the way , after i fix all of these then can someone teach me how am igoing to do this on my live host? Can i just temporary close my site then back up, then try to convert it on local host then backup again when im done with the merge so the backup will be the one that im going to extract in my live host. But im not sure about the database, im not sure how to set up or might get a problem. so i just really need to do the merge in my live host? I just have to practice it in my localhost?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  16. euantor

+407
    newbie27 I'm not sure about SMF, the last time I used it was several years ago and even then it was only briefly.

Once you've converted to MyBB locally, you would close the current board, upload MyBB to the site and import the local database. That way it would be as seamless a transition as is possible.

17. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    Do you know how to resolve my problem with the picture attachments? I want the pictures on the post to be seen quickly that we dont need to click it to be seen just like what it was in kunena. Maybe it's called inline attachment. Do i just need to install a mod? Those pictures are important to my forum. please help

18. newbie27

newbie27 Enthusiast

+2
    Do you think hostgator tech support will going to assist me or do the restoration of my backup? I mean after i converted smf to mybb locally then ill just back up mybb and ask hostgator to restore my backup? I think its normal for them to restore the backup but im not sure if its ok if it will be installed where my kunena forum is which is still alive. I want them to do it because im afraid that i will mess up because im confused with the database. About how will i name them locally that wont get any complication when i uploaded it to the live host.

19. euantor

+407
    I'm not sure as I haven't used SMF. I'm not sure how they handle attachments.

You can always ask them and see. They might be able to help you, it just depends on how helpful their support is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.