KeyCDN or Cloudflare?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Ummagumma, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:06 AM.

1. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Hi all.
    Currently hosted on KeyCDN and in truth I can't say I've noticed a huge performance increase in speed of the site. When I look at some other XF sites (with addons running) I can feel they're much faster.
    Granted I may have some extra things running that will add a few ms on that all important page speed.
    But I have also noticed just how many of the faster sites are also using Cloudflare..

In your experience which would you say is the fastest of the two? CF or KeyCDN?
    I'm using KeyCDN paid by the way but that's not my concern really, speed as well as security is important for me.
    When doing tests it still shows as no effective use of CDN even though we've been on there for about 2 years..
    Would love to hear your thoughts on this as I am trying to increase the speed of the site as best I can. It's fast enough now, don't get me wrong.. but I do believe I can squeeze extra out of using by using a possibly more effective CDN if Key is not up to scratch.
    Thanks

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    Either should be good.
    KeyCDN's pay as you go formula looks much cheaper in the long run, so its certainly providing value on a budget for sites with traffic spikes. Smaller players are capable of improving their service and pricing quicker than a behemoth like Cloudflare, so I'd keep that in mind.

Faster... for whom?
    Webmasters and visitors from US and EU will generally be served the fastest no matter the host, and differences will be minuscule. Clouflare's larger node network should theoretically serve content better worldwide but will still underperform for regions like remote africa, siberia and australia.

3. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    It's definitely been very cheap for us to use over the two years. Can't complain there..
    Mostly UK, EU and US.. I can see a very notable difference between some sites within the UK and EU in comparison. Whether or not that's XF2 overall though (other sites one is extremely fast but using XF2) it's difficult to say as it's notable quicker IMO.
    Just trying to work out whether CF are better for speed = more spots or whether or not it's not really that relevant and just being overly picky/OCD about timings.

4. LeadCrow

+1,837
    At some point, node distance stops mattering and your focus should go to optimizing content to serve better.
    Decreasing filesizes, on-the-fly loading of content in superior file formats like webp, serving different versions according to region/network...

5. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Indeed, which is precisely where we're at now. Trying to best serve content better and more optimised. Not just for arrving new traffic but for existing members too.

6. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+566
    I do not recommend Cloudflare - I have seen clients have more problems with Cloudflare enabled, than it helps. At the very least, if you do use Cloudflare, ensure their "Rocketscript" optimization is disabled. It does not do well with dynamic applications.

Personally, I recommend Amazon CloudFront for a CDN.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+246
    Cloudflare all day.

8. LeadCrow

+1,837
    Now that's unexpected. What kind of breakage are commonplace ?

9. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+566
    It's mostly with the Rocketscript feature, like I mentioned. I've seen it break multiple things, but one of the most common things are WYSIWYG editors.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+394
    This has been my experience as well. CloudFront is great. CloudFront+S3 is even better.

• List
  11. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Is it difficult to do then with XF? Or set up even..
    I tried with AWS previously but found the dashboard not exactly intuitive. How would S3 and CF work together and does it really make a drastic improvement on performance?
    Thanks so far for the replies... :tup:

EDIT: I tried with AWS previously but found the dashboard not exactly intuitive << for some things. But use them for SES etc. Just working out the CDN side of it and what's what there. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    • List
  12. Belazor

Belazor DragonByte Technologies Programming Director

+161
    I've never used a CDN because vBulletin 4 + CDN is a right gamble indeed, do you mind elaborating on why the AWS dashboard was unintuitive to you?

Once DBTech switches to XF2 and we can enable the image proxy and whatnot, I don't see why we wouldn't go with a CDN, so this is very interesting to me.

Thanks!

13. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    That's precisely what I did - image proxy etc CDN.. and went with KeyCDN for that and Amazon SES for email handling.
    With the rest I tried setting up buckets and then also making a CDN but found the dashboard quite unfriendly compared to other sites. Granted it's probably easy for some, but personally I just found other sites offering CDN's much easier to use. It's fair to say that there's more options which probably threw me. :)

• List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted