Just Bought XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Judge Dredd, May 10, 2012.

1. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Bayerische Motoren Werke

+180
    Thanks for all the welcomes into the club! Can't wait to use it!

2. Richard.R

Richard.R Adherent

+29
    Have you learned the secret handshake yet?

3. Judge Dredd

+180
  4. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+5,223
    Shhhhh, he hasn't had gone through the official inauguration process yet :lildevil:

5. Yoshi88

Yoshi88 Enthusiast

+8
    Congrats, I'll be joining the club very soon hopefully :)

6. Omnikron

Omnikron Enthusiast

+13
    Welcome to the club and yes, Xenforo will rock your socks off. Have just one license currently and very happy to have made the move to it.

7. KW802

KW802 Oooh, something shiny!

+556
    :eek:

I'm only up to 6. Still need 4 more before I get to the next discount tier. :(

8. Judge Dredd

+180
    I really wish I could think of something to start the new site on. (As far as topic goes.)

9. Richard.R

Richard.R Adherent

+29
    A forum dedicated to helping people who have no ideas what to make/buy/create a forum/project/gift to buy? XD

While i'm joking.. thats an oddly good idea.lol

10. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+411
    Enjoy the goody Micro, new stuff's always fun!

:banana:

gogo

p.s. If you're looking for something to make your forum about, how bout listing the stuff you're great at or love doing/writing? Shorlisting like this is a great way to put down on paper what has a chance of being successful. Good luck

11. Judge Dredd

+180
    Thanks gogo!

I'll give that a try!

What bothers me is that most of my hobbies are dominated by large forums.

12. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+411

Doesn't matter. What's important is to be honest about what you're going to stick to doing. If you're spending time on games, find an angle and work it.

My own forum is a gaming forum... my angle is that I focus on one game only.

List what you're doing the most every day, this is probably what you have the most expertise in and have highest chance of creating loyal readers from what you put up.
    :)

gogo

13. Judge Dredd

+180
    Thanks for the advice gogo!

I've got my mind set on soccer. I am a pretty big fan, and I was able to snag a really good domain in my opinion. I did some research and it seems there are a few relatively large soccer related boards, now some might say that there's too many to be successful. I disagree. If there are that many, then that means I have a chance.

Tell me what you think of the domain: talksoccer.org

14. Judge Dredd

+180
    I am loving XenForo. The styling system was a little difficult, or maybe that's just because of my vB background. But I am getting the hang of it.

15. Morganna

+5,223
    It's a quick study. If you can style for vB, you'll be able to pick up the XenForo system easily :)

16. Judge Dredd

+180
    I hope so! I downloaded a theme and it was really discouraging as all the colors were specified in the templates, not the color palette, so I got rid of it as I didn't know what I was doing. Kind of wish I didn't though, now I know what I was doing wrong. Regardless, I like the theme I have now. I can customize it easily. The styling system is actually much easier than vB's. Just seems to take some getting used to.

17. Morganna

+5,223
    Try to keep all your edits inside your extra.css template - it makes life so much easier when upgrading :D

18. Judge Dredd

+180
    How can I make edits to the forum using that? Do I just call the class and set it's parameters? Does that override the pre-existing templates?

19. Morganna

+5,223
    Well obviously extra.css is just for the css edits, which you'd be amazed at the things you can do. Some of the classes will need !important added to the css, but most of them will pull from extra.css instead of from the standard templates.

The added bonus is that your extra.css never gets overwritten during upgrades. On my sites, which both have completely custom styles, upgrading takes about 2 minutes - it takes us longer to upload the files than it does to clean anything up afterwards.

20. Judge Dredd

+180
    Nice! Are you saying that I shouldn't use the color palette and instead should specify the colors in extra.css?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted