ISPs can now sell your browsing history without permission...

OUTL4W

<style>OUTL4W GFX</style> :p
"your broadband and wireless internet service provider will have free reign to collect and sell personal data along to third parties. That information may include (but is not limited to!) location, financial, healthcare and browsing data scraped from customers. As a result of the ruling, you can expect ISPs to begin collecting this data by default"
http://bgr.com/2017/03/23/fcc-privacy-rules-senate-overturned-ajit-pai/
Why can't I sell my browsing history myself and make some extra coin?

and soon say buh bye to net neutrality as well...

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
All they're doing is legalizing existing crimes. Maybe data theft will be next...
Why can't I sell my browsing history myself and make some extra coin?
It has to be done in bulk before any analysis result can be aggregated. A user-specific history has no value except as blackmail material.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
They could do this for 2 decades before the law was enacted, and yet the sky didn't fall.

Amaury

Habitué
As usual, people are taking it out of context and missing the big picture to create drama. Instead of reading only the headlines, try reading the actual articles. It's not something that personally bothers me, but this is something that's already done by Google, Facebook, etc. How do you think the ads on Facebook's sidebar, for example, show things you've recently viewed? This is just changing the power for who controls what.

Klaatu

Fan
All they're doing is legalizing existing crimes. Maybe data theft will be next...

Exactly. And I think data theft is already occurring, ISPs, spy agencies and hackers are for sure collecting your data. You have to assume that everything you do online is being monitored or it could potentially be monitored.

I'm not into conspiracy theories and that kind of paranoias, but it's the sad reality of our times. You have to be careful not to do or even say things that could get you in legal trouble.

I'm still not afraid of my microwave oven though. :D

Last edited:

pierce

Habitué
And why encrypting your website as webmasters is important. So they can't peer into the pipe to collect data

Klaatu

Fan
And why encrypting your website as webmasters is important. So they can't peer into the pipe to collect data

Well, another scary thing is that we're learning about serious web vulnerabilities many years after they were originally discovered (exploited mainly by governments). And you also have to assume that most devices have backdoors for governments to exploit, not all companies react to pressure like Apple did.

pierce

Habitué
Well, another scary thing is that we're learning about serious web vulnerabilities many years after they were originally discovered (exploited mainly by governments). And you also have to assume that most devices have backdoors for governments to exploit, not all companies react to pressure like Apple did.
I think Google is doing a good gardening service removing bad CA

The point of it is so you can't easily track encrypted data.

You could of course if you have access to the CA.

Again hopefully isp's don't have this data.

I understand the history well. Most of this snowball is because of Snowden.

Google again directly attacked reacted by encrypting all data centre to data centre traffic.

They are also creating their own CA. Which will be interesting for us all to see if they roll it out to the public.

Last edited:

Gus

Enthusiast
Assuming that this resolution passes through the House....