Is there Future for Local Search Engines

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Raman, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Raman

Raman Aspirant

+3
    Hello Friends,

Are there any future for local search engines, local business listing engine as google is making its own search listing like to find the restaurants, call taxi etc.
    What you say?

2. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+643
    Not really, in my opinion.

What can a local solution provide that's better than Google?

Google has maps, directions, reviews, pictures, traffic time segments, hours of operation, websites, phone numbers...

Put another way, Google has the power of people. The power of users by the millions contributing to the info database...

I just don't see how any alternative beats what Google has to offer.

3. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+415
    It really depends on what you're aiming for and what you intend to use as a directory. There is always room for a niche local directory (I wouldn't call it a search engine) but you really need to do some serious research and then some serious marketing to ensure that everyone in the catchment area knows how to find the directory. Your rates would also have to be favourable to attract businesses.

The plus sides to this is that you know who your market is, you (ought to) know the businesses and so you hone down to what's available to the local populous. Google is OK, but everyone and their granny is on it and results are not always what you expect; though when you do find what you want the information is all there. Your directory would have to do the same or better. There is a script that might suit your needs which you can find here >>> https://www.phpmydirectory.com/

Good luck!

;)

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,803
    Probably not, No.

But smaller things could benefit from listings.

One example:

- what mulch is available at what locations and at what prices in your city ?
    Buy a bag of each, and do a YouTube review of the products.
    Is the $7 mulch at the Home Depot better than the $3 one at Walmart ?
    - keep the prices up to date, allow people to notify you of price changes.

When people Google mulch *your city* ... hopefully your site comes up after a few years. Maybe mulch sellers approach you for premium ad space as time goes on.

I think there can be room for local listings, but they have to be very focused. and you need to be a content expert or at least be willing to do alot of leg work.

5. Shinjiru

Shinjiru Aspirant

+16
    There is only one company can beat Google, that is Baidu from China.

As far as I know.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted