Is there any transfer fee for a first transfer of vbulletn version 4 licenses?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Lizzie Johannah, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
    I've been doing some research on this, so I would be completely knowledgeable before preceding with any second-hand vbulletin purchases, but I've run into some conflicting information.

Is there a transfer fee for vbulletin version 4 licenses? I read that most people say that there is not a transfer fee (so long as it is only the first time that you have transferred the license) but after the first transfer there will be a $45 fee. The first transfer (without the fee) Also transfers very quickly, while the transfer with the fee will take up to seven days.

is this information all correct? Am I missing anything? I'm jus trying to do my research and maybe get some confirmation that I've understood everything correctly. this information could also come to be useful for other people looking for vbulletin version 4.x licenses on the second-hand market.

Thank you!

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,279
    There is always a $45 fee, and not all licenses are eligible for transfer.

3. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
  4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    There is no transfer fee on the first transfer of a VB3 or VB4 license, period, then end.

There is always a transfer fee on a VB5 license.

Beyond that it comes down to which country the current license holder lives in to determine if the license can be transferred more than once. There are also numerous reasons that would make a license inteligible for transfer such as if it is being used on multiple sites or if the license was revoked so always contact sales@vbulletin.com with the license number and name of the (supposed) license holder to confirm it is a valid license. That won't guarantee the transfer will complete but if it is not valid that would guarantee the transfer would NOT complete.

I am a support rep for vBulletin.

Bigger issue- why are you looking for a VB4 license? Absolutely no one should be starting a new site on it.

5. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
    Well, you're a customer service rep, you have to say that. lol

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    I have to say what?

7. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
    Oh! Advertise vBulletin 5 and question why I would use vBulletin 4 or tell me that I shouldn't.

----awkward----

8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    Did I advertise VB5? I simply said you shouldn't be using VB4. I bet 99% of the people on this forum agree with that statement.

If I was talking in the best interest of vBulletin rather than your own I would have kept my mouth closed.

But good luck with whatever you choose.

9. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
    someone... doesn't know a joke when they hear one. i bet a good portion of the people on this forum would probably advise against using vBulletin at all, period, actually.

Your original answer was helpful, though. I was pretty sure there was no fee. For that, thank you!

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Good guess.

11. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+35
    Whats the going rate for a VB4 license, I just remembered I have one sitting idle!

12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    Not sure which you have but remember for VB4 there is forum only and publishing suite. The publishing suite version has blog, cms/articles, and ticket support included.

13. Lizzie Johannah

Lizzie Johannah Aspirant

+16
    Well, I just bought one from another user (pending verification) for $40, but I would be willing to pay more than that to get the license for less than what vBulletin 5 costs. In case I need another one, how much would you be willing to part with it for? Is it suite or forum, I would only need forum, but either is perfectly fine.

14. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,241
    I bet they dont. ;)

Im sure many would, but not 99% - just as most would also say dont start one on vB5. :D

15. Laniakea

Laniakea Aspirant

+4
    Are you sure about that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.