Is there a Thanks add-on for Xenforo 1.5.x?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by djbaxter, Apr 13, 2018.

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+452
    As the title says, "Like" is a standard feature for Xenforo but I'd like to add a Thanks option as well. I use the combination of vBulletin forums and most of our members agree "Like" and "Thanks" are different.

Is there an available add-on?

2. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+891
  3. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    Oh man, I remember having to deal with that when I first switched my forum over to XF. Trust me, if your experience is anything like mine, they will eventually get over it. And in my personal opinion, no, "like" and "thank you" in the context of reacting to a thread/post is not all that different, because if you say thank you it's generally because you like something. To like it is to show appreciation, which is to say thank you. I really think it mainly just comes down to what people are used to.

But anyway, yeah, as Maddox suggested, Post Ratings should get you what you want and more. There's some doubt, though, at this point whether or not the developer for it will ever get around to updating it for XF2, so if you're thinking about updating to 2 in the near future you might want to hold off. There's a couple of good alternatives already for 2.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,539
    Actually they can mean two entirely different things.
    I can thank someone for the help that they provided in answering a post I made.
    By the same token, I can like the post of someone that was giving assistance to another in a thread (thanking them would really not be appropriate).
    I can like the post of someone in a thread that I agree with their stance on whereas thanking them again is not really appropriate.

Generally you thank someone for doing something that you directly (or sometimes indirectly) benefit from.

So, they do have useful purposes that are not always "similar".

And the post ratings add-on would probably come closest to doing what is needed. There is (AFAIK) not a true "Thanks" add-on for XF.

5. djbaxter

+452
    20 pounds seems a bit excessive to me, though, especially if it's not going to be upgraded for XF2.

6. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    Well, you basically just used two examples of "like" being more appropriate than "thank you," so all that really proves to me is that the former is probably a better encompassing reaction than the latter. However you cut it, my opinion is that "like" suffices. If it works well enough for the biggest social networks in the world, I'd say it's pretty well accepted. :tup:

7. djbaxter

+452
    I disagree. What Tracy PerryTracy Perry did was illustrate the difference between Like and Thanks with examples. In doing so, he said basically what our members said, and that is also borne out by the fact that there are differences in the counts of the two on our forums: sometimes posts get a Like, sometimes they get a Thanks, sometimes they get both. But our forum members discriminate between the meaning of the two.

If you and your members are happy with just a Like option, that's fine. I didn't and don't want a debate on the issue. I just wanted a question answered and it has been.

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,880
    Have a look at Content Ratings for XF2 for $35

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    If you read what he actually wrote, you'll see that in all his examples a "like" would have been appropriate, whereas a "thank you" would not have been in the second and third examples - in his opinion. In his first example, he said that thanking someone would have been appropriate, but he did not say that a like would not have also been appropriate; and in the second and third examples he was saying that a like would be preferable. So the question remains: "When would a like not be acceptable?" You can argue that a thank-you would be preferable, which is fine, but I don't think you've made a good case for a "like" ever not being "acceptable."

Either way. You and yours are welcome to your opinions and doing whatever you want. I'm not the "like" police, enforcing the use of like, lol.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,539
    If your game plan is going to XF 2 (which most people are eventually) I'd simply wait until the upgrade and then use the appropriate XF 2 add-on that fit the bill. If you are not upgrading to XF 2 in the next year, then the add-on would be a small outlay compared to the benefit of the current site. That only works out to around $2.38 (USD) a month... WAY less than a Starbucks (or designer) coffee!! ;)
    I think the XF 2 add-ons can import from Luke's add-on.

No... let's make this simple to understand.
    I'm working on a flat tire on the side of the road. You stop and help me change it.... now, what do I say to you after it's done:
    "I like you for the help."
    "I thank you for the help."

Now, let's take it a bit further.... I'm a bystander that watches you help change the tire. Either of these could technically be right (but due to the lack of social graces most have one "looks" better)
    "I like the fact that you helped him out."
    "I thank you for the fact that you helped him out."

See the difference? :)
    It's basic semantics and for some sites the "like" is not an appropriate response (mainly technical related type sites come immediately to mind).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    Except you're not actually "saying" anything when you click a like or thank you button. There are some examples of when a thank you reaction might not make much sense, as you illustrated above, but I don't think there's ever a case when giving a like is "wrong" or "inappropriate" when it comes to reacting to a post. Again, I get it, sometimes you think a thank-you reaction is "better," but I'm just saying that I don't think that a like is ever really wrong. And if you want to actually say "I thank you for the help," then you can just say it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+181
    Including what Tracy PerryTracy Perry said, Luke's add-on also does not have annual fees. 20 pounds is a one-time payment. If you are going to stay on XF1 for a couple of years more, it should amortise out a bit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.