Is there a relation between Facebook and Sogou, the Chinese search engine?

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by Kevin, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,214
    It may be just a coincidence but it seems like everytime I post something for our photography forum on our Facebook page, and the Facebook bots show up to scan the page, it seems like a Sogou bot is also immediately online scanning the same page.

When Sogou bots first showed up I didn't think much of it after reading up on them (they seem to be a Chinese version of Google) but now it seems to be pretty consistent, post to our FB page and Sogou shows up.

Anybody know if there is some type of formal relation between Facebook and Sogou?

Just curious, nothing nefarious seems to be going on.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    I can't answer that but it would surprise me if it was the case. Sogou are in partnership with Microsoft They use Bing powered engines to search for English results from Chinese keywords. Google is blocked in China but Bing powered search engines are not. Facebook is also blocked in China which would suggest to me there wouldn't be much value in such a relationship but I could be wrong.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,270
    If they don't have a partnership, they might be crawling various FB pages and then hitting links in new posts to discover content.

4. MyLead

MyLead Aspirant

+3
    Actually is all about their bot is doing it pretty fast and there is no close relation between facebook and them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.