Is there a reason for choosing Forumotion, Zetaboard, etc.?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by xXTHeEddYXx, Feb 28, 2010.

1. xXTHeEddYXx

xXTHeEddYXx Enthusiast

+5
    I always thought that hosting your own forum would be a better idea:werd::biggun:I missing something here?

2. Hayek

Hayek Fan

+39
    Most of the people who use those sites either don't want to/can't pay for hosting/domain, don't need a professional-looking site, or find it more convenient. For any serious forum owner, self-hosted is definitely the way to go though.

3. Jeff_London

Jeff_London Participant

+1
    I guess people that want something easy to handle/ are new to the forum scene. Anyone who wants to get full power over their forums should always get something like MyBB, SMF, if they can't afford vB or IPB.

4. Manberlin

Manberlin Not Manbearpig

+74
    Well some people are looking for a bit of a cheaper alternative. For a domain name on ForuMotion it's 20 dollars for a year. In addition to that they have almost all of the features VB has. I was a bit reluctant to have a ForuMotion forum because I thought it wouldn't look professional but after looking around at some others hosted by them I decided to host with them.

5. Drakon

Drakon Participant

+1
    I think some people use a free forum because they are new to "forum admining" and they want a place where they can learn without costing them money.

6. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Fanatic

+423
    Money for me mostly.When I started I didn't know how long my forum would last.

But I would never host with a free or remotely hosted forum again. To little freedom and not enough control. For example pro boards (my provider) you can't get a database back up. Heck some hosts will charge you for a database back up. And your often at that host's mercy. At least with normal hosting you can move.

7. carita

carita Freezing your screens

+5
    It's good for practice. To see if you really would be able to run a forum and most of all, like running a forum. My first was a free one. I just posted around there with my friends, and it was really fun. Then I started a real one with my friend. If I had not tried a free one first, I don't think I would ever have started one.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.