Is PhpBB3 SEO Friendly?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by NovaArgon, Apr 7, 2008.

1. NovaArgon

NovaArgon Participant

+0
    I know phpbb2 wasn't but what about 3?

if its not do you have any idea how much it would cost to have it done by a pro?

Thanks

2. SyntauX

SyntauX Neophyte

+0
    It is SEO friendly, even more so than phpBB2. I don't think you'd need a pro to do SEO, there is an excellent and well supported mod that allows all your URLs to be static HTML links. This and posting on your forum will easily get you started. Any other SEO tricks can be picked up along or simply by reading up how Google, Yahoo and MSN work. Knowing the technology behind it all will help immensly.

Of course if you don't have the time too then your option is best.

To keep it short - phpBB3 is SEO friendly.

3. NovaArgon

NovaArgon Participant

+0
    Thanks yea I have time I guess I'll look into that mod.

4. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    You don't need static URLs to be considered friendly to SEO. It is quite possible to never touch that and get high rankings.

5. NovaArgon

NovaArgon Participant

+0
    I haven't read everything yet but I came across this mod.

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php?i=misc&mode=display&contrib_id=3224

and I was going to try and install it if it would help any.

I think I found a post here that said this mod doesn't really make that much difference. If thats the case I had rather not install it because the guys at phpbb update the forums all the time I if your not good at modding the forum you will lose all your mods ever time they update.

6. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    That probably won't help. It has been studied and found by multiple people that there is little to no benefit to keyword-rich URLs.

7. NovaArgon

NovaArgon Participant

+0
    I may just be confused but not so much keywords as the link not having any random symbols in it. This is whats got me thinking that I need to have static links.

Full copy from Google support

Now I have also read in a number of other places that it doesn't matter. I don't know very much one way or the other but seeing as how I don't know how to install the mod I am kinda leaning towards leaving it like it is.

Thanks for all your advice

8. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    In general, most modern dynamic software follows that advice on making URLs.

Back in the old days, some software would go overboard with parameters. It wasn't uncommon to see "whatever.cgi?something=jsijoo2ioj&somethingelse=jioehdioeh9s&yetanotherthing=798789921&maybeanother=89ct87t&whynotmore=dht7r7xx56". Needless to say, that is bad practice for pages you want indexed.

I particularly find their advice amusing given that a search on Google from the Firefox search box results in six parameters in the URL.

9. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  10. mattchew

mattchew Enthusiast

+1
    phpbb-seo has a free phpBB 3 premodded version. I use it here: spyder.890m.com

Hope that helps.

11. NovaArgon

NovaArgon Participant

+0
    Thats cool!

It looks like there page is down. Is there another download link or should I just wait until it comes back up?

Thanks M8's

12. Dragonfire870

Dragonfire870 Adherent

+0
    He posted the wrong link. The actual link is: http://www.phpbb-seo.com/

The site is in both French and English, and has some pretty nifty downloads. I'm considering installing some of them.

13. mattchew

mattchew Enthusiast

+1
    Good luck, if you use phpBB3 SEO Premod. Make sure that if you are using a custom template you look through to premodded subforum, and you will find template changes, otherwise the template wont have the stylysheets and everything working properly. :)

14. TheBasicsAbout

TheBasicsAbout Aspirant

+0
    just did and got this:

:shifty:

15. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    The answer lies two posts above your own.

16. TheBasicsAbout

TheBasicsAbout Aspirant

+0
    :tup: thank you ...
    some times it's too easy yet impossible to see

17. Frozenball

Frozenball Participant

+0
  18. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
  19. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    Looking nicer and helping rank are completely different things, rsrikanth05. I don't think anyone would argue that they can look a bit nicer (although sometimes they can look contorted), but there would be an argument over help in ranking.

If you want to rewrite URLs to include topic titles because you like the look, go ahead. The important thing is to be fully aware of what will be affected and not affected by doing such.

20. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    When I have nothing to lose, but a lot to gain, why wouldn't I go for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.