Is it possible to make a living from a forum?

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
I second this. And I will add this: Most people who read the words "hard work" don't really know what this means. Think relationship-sacrificing, day-and-night slavery, insane obsession type of hard work. In other words, think "the kind of hard work that most sane people would never put forth."

Go cruise over in the community focus forum and click through a few dozen threads from "new" forum owners. You'll see what are basically 404s on a lot of those links--the products of people who discovered the hard way what hard work really means...it wasn't for them.

I started photocamel with the kind of hard work I'm talking about, and when people ask me whether they should start a forum, I say, simply, "no." It's not worth it. Devote that kind of energy to almost anything else--college, a job search, computer programming, selling drugs--and you'll come out *way ahead* of where you would have been if you went the "forum building" route.

Starting a forum is a fool's game, especially now in the Facebook age.

cruel post
but pretty true
beware all ye who open forums
possible, yah, but heart breaking work

:)

gogo

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
You want serious money, blogs are the way but those allergic to even blogging's hard work obviously need not apply. Secures contributors and audience.

Forums are 'passive' revenue drivers, really ideal only for 'rentiers' with already acquired experience and audience (if you did powerblogging earlier, forums will be easy pickings and likely would secure continued involvement of the existing audience).

mysiteguy

Fanatic
In my opinion the problem with this thread, as with many business discussions, is that people somehow expect forums to be different from other businesses. Most businesses fail, forums are no exception. Most people who start a business, in my experience, are not willing to put in sacrifices, take risks and don't have the staying power necessary to succeed.

My suggestions:

Don't take advice from those who have not demonstrated the ability to succeed in business. Find a mentor or mentors who have succeeded. Whenever someone offering "solution" to this "problem" has a vested financial interest in it... do your homework and don't take what they at face value.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
people somehow expect forums to be different from other businesses. Most businesses fail.

Yes
Though the dream of easy money is compelling
Maybe ten years ago when all the big forums started up it was easier. everything was new, and anyone starting a topic would have gotten away with it for awhile
Face book is the great aggregator, and I'm not sure I've seen a really thriving general chat forum go up lately that has done well?
Though I do remember Wober going up years ago here on Taz, and those guys did a fantastic job, lots of hard work every day
no wonder they are doing well

:)

gogo

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
That is also a problem. There really isn't such a thing as "easy money". If you believe that, you're going to stay a lazy poor fool. (And I am not pointing that statement at you gogo, it is for anyone and everyone in general.)

Scott