Is bbpress a good choice?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Musika, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Musika

Musika Aspirant

+8
    Since Wordpres is so popular, well supported and bbpress is the "inhouse"-forum-plugin, what do you think of bbpress? Is it a good free choise?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+262
    My own opinion, No.

If you want free, try discourse.

3. Musika

Musika Aspirant

+8
    But Discourse needs an own server to run rails. PHP is more practical.

4. Pandemixx

Pandemixx Aspirant

+20
    I don't recommend it. The integration with WordPress is overrated as the feature set of bbPress is so limited. Unless you plan to custom develop those "missing" features, the benefits just aren't there. You're better off using your WordPress site separately with a phpBB or MyBB forum.

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    Based on the development seemingly coming to a halt over a year ago, I would pass.

6. ripptech

ripptech Professional Lurker

+43
    every time I have tried to use bbPress/buddyPress (granted it was probably a couple years ago) it was inundated with spam and bogus registrations within days, with no good countermeasures to stop it. Unsure if the landscape is different now but that's my experience with it.

7. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+948
    its free, try it and find out.
    It has it's pros and cons just like anything

8. Musika

Musika Aspirant

+8
    It integrates with Wordpress a a Plugin, but it doesn't have attachment support out of the box.
    But what do you think of bbpress? Maybe compared to phpbb or Joomla with Kunena?

9. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+710
    It's a good free choice if you won't be heavily using forums, and youre more focused on WordPress to drive your content.

If you're looking for standalone forums, I don't think any admin would willingly choose bbress as their first choice.

10. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+109
    No man.

If you are looking for a free alternative, go for MyBB. Is better than this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.