IPS Pages database organisational conundrum

Discussion in 'Invision Community' started by beeurd, Feb 11, 2019.

1. beeurd

beeurd Participant

+0
    Hey there, not sure if I'm going to be able to find a solution here, but I guess I'm hoping that there is an IPS Pages guru lurking around here. I can't use the official site at the moment as my licence expired and I'm too broke at the moment to renew (never mind that I used to have two "life" licences, but hey ho).

I realise I might not get a reply, but I figured it didn't hurt to try.

Anyways, I've been struggling with my particular pages databases setup for a quite a few years, on and off because I get frustrated and give up for a while.

Basically, I currently have two databases that are related to eachother, and I would ideally like to cut it down to one database to avoid duplicating content between them.

Database 1 is a Timeline of Star Wars media, currently organised into categories of "Canon" and "Legends", but I think I could easily ditch the categories and use filters to allow a user to choose whether they want Canon or Legends items to display.
    This database is basically a chronological list of media so you can work out what order to read/watch things in, and doesn't use any pages for each item on the list (I know the pages are created in the background, but I removed all the links to them). As I add corresponding information into Database 2 I link the entries together so you click the item on Database 1 and end up on the page for the linked item on Database 2.

Database 2 is a list of Star Wars media organised into categories such as "Movies", "Novels", "Comics", etc.
    This means that all the information has a nice friendly URL, for example: /star-wars-media-database/movies/the-empire-strikes-back/

My efforts to resolve this always hit some hurdle that I can't get past. Ideally, I'd like to have the category structure of Database 2, but with an index page that is a chronological timeline as in Database 1 - however, it doesn't seem possible to filter a list of records on the homepage of a database that has categories, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Any suggestions are very much welcome and appreciated.

2. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+81
    upload_2019-2-12_3-27-58.png

This will show them like articles and then you should be able to change the "sort by" to whatever you set as your chronological indicator.

Hope that helps!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. beeurd

beeurd Participant

+0
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking a look. Unfortunately I tried this and when you choose that option it does let me set the "sort by" option as needed, but it doesn't seem to let me also use filters to narrow down which records are displayed (eg: so I could tell it to only show items that are "canon"), although I may have just missed something so I might give it another go anyway. The database filters widget is awful, so I'm having to write my own into the template.

4. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+81
    As far as I'm aware there really isn't any easy way to do this as filters can be set per category so the filters widget only shows up when you're in a category.

I think for what you're looking for the current setup is ideal for what you're looking to do. I would recommend maybe adding a URL field in your timeline and link to the relevant media listing so that when they click on the title (you would have to edit your templates to include this) it takes them to it or sacrifice the categories for filters. You can still edit the slug to be something like movies-star-wars-the-clone-wars but you'd lose the directory structure that I think you were looking for. You can then have a link that says "Show types of media".

Unfortunately you're looking to do two different approaches, categories and filters, which works but filters only work once you've entered a category unless you're category-less (which is technically a category level item) the category is just hidden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.