IPS Hosting

NewToAllThis

Participant
It looks like I'm going forward with IPS as my forum software.

Has anyone used them as a host as well??

What are the benefits/cons?

Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like their pricing is a bit high...$20/mo for 25 users & 1gb of storage. The dislaimer states they calculate # users in a 48hr period!

However, I'm a TOTAL beginner to this stuff, so I would imagine if there's a problem with the site, they could help me immensely since it's their servers & software.

Any recommendations?

Lycaon

Devotee
I haven't used their hosting service so can't if it's any good.

As for the pricing itself, it really depends on what you need, in the long term buying a license is more beneficial, if you only require the forum then 9 months at $20 and you've paid for the license.

Even if you needed all of the add-ons that's still only 16 months of $20 to pay for them.

Personally I wouldn't use their hosting. I'd prefer to own the licenses out right.

NewToAllThis

Participant

As for the pricing itself, it really depends on what you need, in the long term buying a license is more beneficial, if you only require the forum then 9 months at $20 and you've paid for the license.

Even if you needed all of the add-ons that's still only 16 months of $20 to pay for them.

Personally I wouldn't use their hosting. I'd prefer to own the licenses out right.

This is a long term commitment for me...i'm throwing some good money into this with the hope of it helping me retire in 20yrs :)

Why do you prefer to own the license? With the cost of hosting with other companies, I thought it might be better to simply let the software owner host...but this is flawed logic?

Lycaon

Devotee
I wouldn't say it's flawed as such but not only are you paying them for hosting, in a way you're paying to lease a license from them too.

It reminds me of the old leased license from vBulletin - You have the use of the software but don't actually own it as such.

With IPS hosting if you decide that their hosting isn't right or if your forum gets very large you're going to need something else and then you'll have to buy a license anyway so you might as well buy one from the start.

Of course if you're new to forum and unsure you could just start off with some cheap hosting and using an open source script such as MyBB - If it picks up you can always invest in a paid script later on.

petertdavis

Not a Beginner

Your numbers don't seem to include the renewal fees. Using hosted IPB is much more economical when you would be using other modules like IP.Blog, IP.Gallery, IP.Content, etc. And, for a new site there is no reason to start off on the $20 a month plan, the $10 one is where a new site should start. Using the $10 a month plan, and including just the three modules I mentioned above, you would never recoup the initial cost of the license (including renewals), let alone the extra money you pay for your own hosting. And, that doesn't even take into account the value of having a hosting provider that knows how to host the IPS software.

Lycaon

Devotee
That is a fair point, I hadn't taken the renewal fee into account.

And if you use the other add-ons then yes hosted would probably be more economical but if you only need the forum then it's not so economical and it does still mean that you're limited in the future if the site takes off.

Plus you are limited on how many users online at a time.

Personally I would still prefer to buy the licenses rather than use their hosted service.

petertdavis

Not a Beginner
You are limited by how many users you have online at one time on any host, even your own dedicated server. Experienced forum admins understand that. Just because a host might advertise "unlimited" bandwidth doesn't mean your forum is going to still work when you have a bunch of people online at once.

NewToAllThis

Participant
For my forum, I would be working with most of the modules they offer...

At $10, I get 10 online users...if and when I surpass that number...any idea what happens?

Are people simply blocked, web site comes to a crawl? Any idea if the hosting company typically lets ppl know they've maxed the bandwidth?

Lycaon

Devotee
I imagine if you go over they'll let you know and give you the chance to upgrade if need be. Check their ToS, it should state what will happen.

If you are going to use all of their add-ons then maybe hosted would be the way to go at first.

In the end it's down to you and what you can afford and what you're comfortable with.

NewToAllThis

Participant
I just heard back from them about hosting...

To your pt, it's a seemless upgrade and I can start at the smallest plan. If I grow really big really fast, they will contact me to discuss options primarily due to the fact I would be put on another server.

My thought is that once I grow big enough (i'll have to decide that pt), I can start looking at other hosting options and purchasing the software.

Seems like a great startup package b/c of the low initial investment and flexibility...they should outline that better on their website!

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
It looks like I'm going forward with IPS as my forum software.

Has anyone used them as a host as well??

What are the benefits/cons?

Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like their pricing is a bit high...$20/mo for 25 users & 1gb of storage. The dislaimer states they calculate # users in a 48hr period!

However, I'm a TOTAL beginner to this stuff, so I would imagine if there's a problem with the site, they could help me immensely since it's their servers & software.

Any recommendations?

We were with them for our first year ever.
A bit pricey, but the support is one of the best in the world.
:)

gogo

NewToAllThis

Participant
Thanks gogo!

"Their support" - ticket, forum, phone? What is the best way to work with them should an issue arise?

As an aside, even if they host, can i still install mods offered within their marketplace?

shadowavalon

Enthusiast
yes you can i was thinking of doing the same when i have money but i generaly wait til you build up a member base first

NewToAllThis

Participant
yes you can i was thinking of doing the same when i have money but i generaly wait til you build up a member base first

Why would you wait until you have a membership?

...many of the mods are free....including some of the ones I think would be the most valuable

shadowavalon

Enthusiast
well they are free i'm talking actually getting ones to come join your forum is what meant by member base there's no point in paying for mods for a forum without members

MikeDVB

Fan
Whether or not to use their hosting or not ultimately comes up to preference. Personally I'd just get the license and choose a shared hosting provider I felt I could trust. I would keep regular off-provider backups either way (no matter who the host is, IPS or otherwise).

Just because you don't host with IPS doesn't mean you won't still get excellent support from them. Support isn't free, but it's certainly not what I would call expensive at $30 for 6 months if memory serves me right.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
Thanks gogo!

"Their support" - ticket, forum, phone? What is the best way to work with them should an issue arise?

As an aside, even if they host, can i still install mods offered within their marketplace?
Yes, you can install Hooks and Applications on our hosted solution. :)

The best way to work with us is to contact us directly via your Client Area. You'll have access to six departments which you can submit support requests into.

1. General Support - This is for software related issues. You can also flag tickets as Critical if you site is down due to an error.
2. Installs and Upgrades - We do all upgrades for your site when you are hosted with us. This is not automatic, however, so you need to request them. There is the Auto-Upgrader as well, which will upload the files for you, you'll still need to run the upgrade manually, however.
3. Sales - If you have any questions regarding purchasing new products (obviously).
4. Accounts and Billing Assistance - If there is something wrong with your IPS Client or Community Account.
5. Hosting Support - For issues related to your actual hosting, rather than the IPS Software.
6. Hosting Emergency - If your site is completely down, you can submit tickets here. It's typically staffed 24/7 by whomever is available at that time, however if the current staff can't work the issue, we'll typically contact someone who can.

NewToAllThis

Participant
Thanks everyone for their advice!

I decided to start with IPS for hosting. It took a lot of the guesswork out of setting it up and made my life very easy. Within a few minutes of my payment processing, I had a nice new site, ready to run.

Also, b/c I wasn't sure how much space and bandwidth I needed, I started with their $10 plan and they stated as I needed more, the upgrade was seemless and they would upgrade my billing plan.

I've used their support once so far and they cleared my ticket VERY quickly after I accidentally modified a file and shut my site down :(

Otherwise, I live on their support forums and have found tons of good info to help me out.

GasaiYuno

Adherent
Yes, you can install Hooks and Applications on our hosted solution. :)

The best way to work with us is to contact us directly via your Client Area. You'll have access to six departments which you can submit support requests into.

1. General Support - This is for software related issues. You can also flag tickets as Critical if you site is down due to an error.
2. Installs and Upgrades - We do all upgrades for your site when you are hosted with us. This is not automatic, however, so you need to request them. There is the Auto-Upgrader as well, which will upload the files for you, you'll still need to run the upgrade manually, however.
3. Sales - If you have any questions regarding purchasing new products (obviously).
4. Accounts and Billing Assistance - If there is something wrong with your IPS Client or Community Account.
5. Hosting Support - For issues related to your actual hosting, rather than the IPS Software.
6. Hosting Emergency - If your site is completely down, you can submit tickets here. It's typically staffed 24/7 by whomever is available at that time, however if the current staff can't work the issue, we'll typically contact someone who can.

Thanks Ryan. I actually like using the IPS hosting when I cannot afford a license at first, and then I buy one soon there after.