IPS Feature Plan

esquire

Habitué
To go into the details of the IPS 4 Feature Plan, the first three items are definitely a direct result of rather loud feedback in the forums. Which is nice, because it means they listened. But beyond that, there are some things in there that are jaw-droppingly cool that I think will truly distinguish this IPS 4 far beyond its competitors.
This is very true, especially those first three items. I'm very glad to see that, after wrestling with what should be no-brainers, they have taken some steps that appear to recognize some very good suggestions in the forum. While there is no ETA on these items in the list, it still helps set expectations to users and modders appropriately and the knowledge that they are forthcoming. It's a very good first step, hopefully more to come from them.

Liam Madness

Enthusiast
This is very true, especially those first three items. I'm very glad to see that, after wrestling with what should be no-brainers, they have taken some steps that appear to recognize some very good suggestions in the forum. While there is no ETA on these items in the list, it still helps set expectations to users and modders appropriately and the knowledge that they are forthcoming. It's a very good first step, hopefully more to come from them.

I didn't expect to see a praise comment from you, Esquire ;)

esquire

Habitué
I didn't expect to see a praise comment from you, Esquire ;)
Thanks. Someone wrote a small dissertation on the use of topic title limits, lol. ;) Let's hope we can keep it this way going forward and see solid signs of positive results as we're seeing now.

Alpha1

Administrator
Looks like what Xenforo members have been asking about for 5 years.
The difference is that this roadmap lists features that are not new or unexpected, but lists previously existing features that now need improvement.
With xenforo there is no real roadmap but we know that the most popular suggestions are bound to be implemented. So its possible to guestimate what will be in an upcoming release. They will not give away what's coming in 6 months or a year, but will answer important questions about it. Mike recently posted that there will not be a blog/cms in XF2.0

IPS is generally showing what's to come many months before release. While this is very nice to see, its also problematic. Had they not start posting IPS previews years before release then there would not have been a 2 years wait and so much disappointment over the delays. It seems to me that neither approach is optimal.

geebee

Fan
^ That's true, but for people wanting to have a fully functioning website, the alternatives to XF look appealing. The fact that you need all sorts of third-party features like bridges and article managers etc with additional fees can be a bit off-putting. XF developing their core product and adding features and add-ons under the XF brand would make it much more appealing

Alpha1

Administrator
Yes, agreed. I was not trying to make a case for XF and against IPS. Just trying to point out that having a road map has turned out less optimal than I expected when the road turns out to be much longer than expected.

Lizard King

Habitué
Honestly most of those list should already been tackled during IPB 4.0. Just because IPB took too long to release their own script doesn't mean they should ship a product with 20-25% less features then the previous version.

Rici

Participant
If they remove 20-25% disturbing stuff which doesn't have any purpose then that is totally fine with me.

They already said that the 4.0 release is for getting their new framework running so development in the future can be way easier for them (and maybe for addon developers as well?). Once that step is done they can concentrate on adding more features during their next point release, e.g. 4.1. This sounds like a very logic procedure to me.

Some people may say that will result in a feature poor 4.0 release. Well, in that case I'd suggest those guys to wait until 4.1. There seems to be no urgent reason to upgrade to IPS4 in the very moment it is released...

Liam Madness

Enthusiast
Some people may say that will result in a feature poor 4.0 release. Well, in that case I'd suggest those guys to wait until 4.1. There seems to be no urgent reason to upgrade to IPS4 in the very moment it is released...

I agree completely. While I MAY upgrade soon after the release, it all depends on everything I use presently being updated, I never understood why people who have big boards would immediately upgrade.

20-25 percent features less is what doesn't make sense to me according to Lizard King because the same features I use are still there or enhanced or better for my own experience. I wish people would not make such blanket statements about what they mean likely refers to themselves.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
If they remove 20-25% disturbing stuff which doesn't have any purpose then that is totally fine with me.

They already said that the 4.0 release is for getting their new framework running so development in the future can be way easier for them (and maybe for addon developers as well?). Once that step is done they can concentrate on adding more features during their next point release, e.g. 4.1. This sounds like a very logic procedure to me.

The problem is with 20 to 25% that it can be crap for one but gold for another.

The issue with moving features and improvements and fixes to 4.1 is tha people have to many months again.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
There is a saying "I cannot help thinking this is more a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!" . I keep thinking this Plan would be great when they did not have to so this but now that they need to do this to keep people happy its like meh.

Joel R

Habitué
There is a saying "I cannot help thinking this is more a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!" . I keep thinking this Plan would be great when they did not have to so this but now that they need to do this to keep people happy its like meh.
Not necessarily, I think it makes a lot of sense for them to be releasing this kind of outline as they start building features. Everything before was more framework development

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Not necessarily, I think it makes a lot of sense for them to be releasing this kind of outline as they start building features. Everything before was more framework development

With release candidates you do not add in new features or improvements but you'll fix the issues that you have and work to full or gold release asap. The framework was done long ago because without the underlying framework they could not build ipb4, that they tweaked the framework a bit that is understandeble.

That page is a nice move and you inform people what you want to do as company, but you'll need to understand that it was done because people where complaining on how things where going at IPS. It was done after not before, one thing does show on that page that is there serious and have long term planning and that they do not give a date when its included that fine to else you get to much discussion about thar.

Lizard King

Habitué
Everything before was framework sure , so has anyone have an idea how long will it take for them to put IPB 4 in a stable and usable state for existing websites ?

It's been over 2 years since they introduced IPB 4 and yet it failed to reach Gold state.
There are tons of other missing critical features , how long will these take to implement ?

There are tons of major questions in my mind other that this. Will their top management change how they want to hear feedback will customers has to force them to act in future , will they decide on focusing on details for perfection or will functional be enough for them.

Yes that feature plan is a good start but they need to do way more to gain the lost trust.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Everything before was framework sure , so has anyone have an idea how long will it take for them to put IPB 4 in a stable and usable state for existing websites ?

It's been over 2 years since they introduced IPB 4 and yet it failed to reach Gold state.
There are tons of other missing critical features , how long will these take to implement ?

There are tons of major questions in my mind other that this. Will their top management change how they want to hear feedback will customers has to force them to act in future , will they decide on focusing on details for perfection or will functional be enough for them.

Yes that feature plan is a good start but they need to do way more to gain the lost trust.

Think it will take time before its released as gold. There stillto many issues pending and some are very important. Just like http://community.invisionpower.com/...pic-causes-crashes-on-iphone-ios-83-4s-r3775/ and all the update issues that needs to be addressed.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I like it. it would be cool if customers could make suggestions that can be added to the future portion of the roadmap once they got enough upvotes. Maybe XenForo can implement that idea if IPS passes on it.

Because if something happens out of order, or doesn't happen by some perceived deadline, THEN people start whining, en masse.
Whine? No. We riot for what's right. :p

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Looks like what Xenforo members have been asking about for 5 years.

Yeah, I really like that list. They shouldn't forget to also keep up the features that are also delivered too and possible add links to the posts describing the new feature. Talk about great marketing. And, when that list gets bigger, then they should tab out the content according to status. That roadmap list is a smart move on IPS's part.

Scott