IPS Activity Streams

Discussion in 'IPS' started by ibaker, May 14, 2018.

1. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    The single biggest issue that I am experiencing with my users in migrating from XF to IPS is that they rely completely on 2 things:
    1. A weekly email that advises them of the most popular topics in all the forums
    2. The What's New (unread Activity Stream) as this is the main landing page for most of my users

Now re #1, there are several addons for this but one being $60 is extreme to say the least. I am unaware of anything else that may suit i.e. it automatically every week sends out an email to users that have been on the site over the last say 90 days with a list of the most popular topics.

The biggest one is #2. I have been unable to replicate the XF What's New function in a manner that they are use to. many are saying that they click on an unread and then it disappears from the list when they go back to it. I think to help them I would like to create a type of My Activity Streams side block menu instead of a drop down but would not have a clue how to do this...any suggestions would be a great help, thanks

1.jpg

2. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+42
    So for Number 2.
    They want the unread content to disappear or they want it to stick?

I would be happy to suggest something like that. It would be something people have to opt in for but I don't see why not. My question here would be what constitutes "popular"? Lots of posts? The Our Picks? I mean each person constitutes it differently. I'm curious what you consider "popular".

As for the sidebar block. That isn't possible at this time but I love the suggestion and will bring it up to see what is possible.

3. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Thanks Morrigan
    re #2
    I think the issue with the What's New is that the users had in Xenforo a way to save their own default Whats New which isn't available in IPS so they are all wanting different things and it is getting confusing exactly what they do want...here are some of their comments:
    -The 'All activity' button in the 'What's new' tab really has ALL activity. It's spammed with what people have "liked" and started "following". I think it just needs to have the new posts and comments.

On the "old" site you could read a post go out and go back again to reread if another post had some content that was related to the first thread ....now the thread disappears ...where to? The threads should remain till you mark thread remove button is hit. As it has been always.

Still not happy with the posts disappearing once you read them..They should remain till I hit the mark forums read button .

Also keep the thread visible once read, instead of having it disappear immediately. Also when reopening a previously read thread, go automatically to the last post instead of defaulting to the first post.

Have you had a chance to look at the problem raised elsewhere relating to the read options? My normal setting is Read status=Unread, jump to first unread post. If I change to Read status=Everything and save as a new stream, the first time I read a topic and click on What's New, it reverts to Read status=Unread. I would have thought it would remain on Everything until I change and save it again.

re #1
    What I used in XF was:
    https://www.xf2addons.com/resources/weekly-digest.19/
    An email of the 25 most popular topics is sent to all members that have logged into your forum with the past 30 days. If a member does not want to receive the Weekly digest email, they can unsubscribe by clicking the link provided in the email or the link in the forum footer, this is an opt-out add-on.

The "popular" I would say the threads that have had the most activity i.e. posts

4. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+42
    Okay so some things to explain that may be misunderstood about what is considered "Unread" IPS marks a thread as read when someone goes into it. I do see (at least here on TAZ) that items are marked on read by the "page" they are viewed. It's interesting and would have to be something investigated for the base of users. I, for example, am constantly annoyed that a thread I pop into (that ends up becoming uninteresting to me) is not marked as read when I go into it here.

As for the second point I think I need more clarification.

Alright, I can suggest the "Most posts" I like the sound of a weekly digest beyond the "watched"/"Followed" content but it's a harder hurdle to tackle. Because your version (most posts) may not be everyone's cup of tea. I do know, that permissions would be a big thing and probably one of the more difficult things to tackle. Obviously staff members don't want their staff posts broadcasting to all of their members but it would be nice to remind staff of cool stuff going on in the staff area.

5. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Thanks Mate, it could be if I could understand what half the listed items are in the description or speak another language for support. Every page of threads in the support site I have to refresh my browser to see anything...it all kinda gives me a ??? gut feeling...it could well be ok and exactly what I need but...

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,750
  7. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    I think I have gotten to the bottom of the user's issue on the What's New. On XF they would be on the what's new unread posts page and click an entry that has a new post in it, it would take them straight to the unread post (s). They would then click the back button to go back to the what's new unread posts page and that entry is still listed...that's what they want, and it is the same here on TAZ. In IPS, when the click the back button and go back to the unread posts page, that entry is no longer listed...everyone in this world is different.

8. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+515
    What you want is Most Recent and not Unread then. It's possible, you just need to configure your stream to the way you want.

If you make your steam to all most recent items, then when they go back, they'll still see those items.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.