IPB 3.0.x Conundrum

Discussion in 'Invision Community' started by feldon30, Aug 13, 2019.

1. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    I've volunteered to help someone who is running on a decade-old version of IPB and the problems are stacking up. His host has unceremoniously migrated him to PHP 7 which has, of course, significantly broken the forum. I have tried to use error_reporting flags in php.ini (multiPHP) and inside of the PHP files themselves, but despite several attempts, there is just no way to suppress enough error messages to get the forum fully working. The obvious approach to me would be to migrate to a host that is still running a protected PHP 5.6 just to get things running stable long enough to consider other options.

So far he has contacted IP and they wanted a ridiculous figure to do an upgrade and then withdrew the offer once they took a closer look at the site. He asked about a less drastic upgrade, but it seems that IP has aggressively removed all traces of IPB3.x software and addons and, regardless of license status, provide no way to download any version other than 4.4.x.

I should add that there is some question as to the integrity of the files on the site, but because the site was acquired through a sale, there is no clean download of IPB3.0.x available so it is not possible to restore the files to factory.

This presents another problem. An obvious migration path for me would be to go to XenForo. The site is light on plugins, so I would setup a new forum, spend a few weeks getting the styles and overall look close enough and then perform the data migration. However XenForo's importer is not compatible with IPB3.0.x. The idea of a IPB3 -> vB3 -> XF2 migration gives me the willies.

Just wanted to send up the Bat Signal in case there was some avenue I hadn't considered.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,223
    So are you (is the owner) set on XF? Why is XF "the obvious migration path"?

Is there a reason you don't want to upgrade to the current IPS version?

Just confused... in all that text, you never explained or reasoned a platform switch.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    Get an active license and upgrade to the latest version of IPS. Then if there still is a desire to migrate to XF you can go from there.

4. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    The owner has expressed some frustration at IPB's choice not to offer downloads of the software that would be helpful. Only offering the latest version is uniquely anti-consumer among forum software brands such as XenForo, vBulletin, phpBB. He expressed further frustration at IPB's insane price to upgrade his site and then rescinsion of that offer basically leaving him completely in the lurch. Basically it boils down to "I've been paying $25 renewals for what?"

I readily admit I have a XenForo bias. I like the way they run the company and overall approach. I like the transparency of their forums and support. It's just a different overall attitude and approach to customers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+33
    Why don't you just move the site to a host like Linode where you can control the PHP version, get it back and running on 5.6 then make a copy to start planning the future?

Have you looked at the actual code to see where the incompatibilities are with PHP 7.2?

6. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    The first incompatibilities I hit was preg_replace with the /e modifier. They are non-trivial to rewrite.
    Moving the site to a server with PHP 5.6 is the first thing I'm going to do. I'm now looking at just upgrading all the way to the newest IPB.

7. Jura

Jura Devotee

+234
    I was on IPB3 earlier this year. I upgraded PHP version and upgraded the forum software to latest.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,266
    IPB3 -> XF 1.5 (has importer) -> XF 2.1

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
  10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    I'm only seeing IPB 3.1 in the import tools.

11. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+307
    I'd be interested to know the ticket ID.

We don't offer old versions of the software, especially not versions that were last sold a decade ago because as this topic proves, it's incredibly hard to run it on a modern server, and it also has several known vulnerabilities.

There is a direct upgrade path from v3 to v4 which on a regular install should be as simple as going to the upgrader. Without looking at the ticket, I can't see why it wouldn't be that straight forward, which presumably it's not or we wouldn't be here talking about it.

12. Oldcrow

Oldcrow Enthusiast

+35
    I still use the old IPB 3.4.9 as an Arcade, there are still quite a few of us left that are using IPB 3.4, it's sad that they no longer support us, even though we still pay the support fees..But that's life I guess.

IPB 3.4 is the only version the ibProArcade will function on. My Host has a selection for me to choose from for the PHP versions, making me fortunate to choose mine so the forum will run..

The new IPB 4.4 does not support the ibProArcade. But the good news is Legionaire and tubesock have been working on ibProArcade to make it function on IPB 4.4 properly.. There is a Test Board setup with the ibProArcade updated version working on IPB 4.4 and working pretty good.. So as soon as it's been thoroughly tested and the bugs taken care of many of us will go ahead and upgrade to the IPB 4.4 version. Because many of the Hosting sites are now php 7.3 and leaving us well behind..Besides IPB 4.4 is a much better version..

13. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    Not only does IPB disallow having a test URL (vBulletin and XenForo both allow it), but they automagically change your licensed URL if they detect the software running anywhere else and then want $15 to change it back. Amazing.

If you need to do a test site on an IPB forum, follow the procedure Morrigan linked below. Otherwise your license URL will get changed and you will have to request for it to be changed back.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  14. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+88
  15. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
  16. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    3 complete attempts, deleting all the files and wiping the database and restoring from backups each time, trying different things here and there including removing all ipb3 files before starting the upgrade. In all 3 cases, a significant percentage of the upgrade goes off without a hitch and then it fails with an error. Attempting to restart the process shows this:
    Hopefully I can find some answers tomorrow.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,266
    What is the error it fails with?

18. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    This is the error:

/home/trekpropzonefeld/public_html/forum/system/Db/Db.php::1924

19. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+306
    Well this is very alarming and I also have the impression of that they are trying to milk their customers. Had a similar discussion about another thing not a long time ago. I would advise you to move out to XF. XF has also its problems but it is more customer friendly overall.

20. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    Right now I've got a support ticket in, which will undoubtedly cost them time to answer, investigate, login with FTP, etc. A ticket that I could have probably solved by being able to download intermediary versions. Migrating from 3.0.4 all the way to 4.4.6 in one chunk has a TON of moving parts and it will be a pain to figure out exactly where it's falling over. If I was able to try a few different versions, I could probably get it done without the support cost.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.