IPB 3.0.x Conundrum

Discussion in 'Invision Community' started by feldon30, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:04 AM.

1. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+420
    I've volunteered to help someone who is running on a decade-old version of IPB and the problems are stacking up. His host has unceremoniously migrated him to PHP 7 which has, of course, significantly broken the forum. I have tried to use error_reporting flags in php.ini (multiPHP) and inside of the PHP files themselves, but despite several attempts, there is just no way to suppress enough error messages to get the forum fully working. The obvious approach to me would be to migrate to a host that is still running a protected PHP 5.6 just to get things running stable long enough to consider other options.

So far he has contacted IP and they wanted a ridiculous figure to do an upgrade and then withdrew the offer once they took a closer look at the site. He asked about a less drastic upgrade, but it seems that IP has aggressively removed all traces of IPB3.x software and addons and, regardless of license status, provide no way to download any version other than 4.4.x.

I should add that there is some question as to the integrity of the files on the site, but because the site was acquired through a sale, there is no clean download of IPB3.0.x available so it is not possible to restore the files to factory.

This presents another problem. An obvious migration path for me would be to go to XenForo. The site is light on plugins, so I would setup a new forum, spend a few weeks getting the styles and overall look close enough and then perform the data migration. However XenForo's importer is not compatible with IPB3.0.x. The idea of a IPB3 -> vB3 -> XF2 migration gives me the willies.

Just wanted to send up the Bat Signal in case there was some avenue I hadn't considered.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:14 AM
  2. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    So are you (is the owner) set on XF? Why is XF "the obvious migration path"?

Is there a reason you don't want to upgrade to the current IPS version?

Just confused... in all that text, you never explained or reasoned a platform switch.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,662
    Get an active license and upgrade to the latest version of IPS. Then if there still is a desire to migrate to XF you can go from there.

4. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+420
    The owner has expressed some frustration at IPB's choice not to offer downloads of the software that would be helpful. Only offering the latest version is uniquely anti-consumer among forum software brands such as XenForo, vBulletin, phpBB. He expressed further frustration at IPB's insane price to upgrade his site and then rescinsion of that offer basically leaving him completely in the lurch. Basically it boils down to "I've been paying $25 renewals for what?"

I readily admit I have a XenForo bias. I like the way they run the company and overall approach. I like the transparency of their forums and support. It's just a different overall attitude and approach to customers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:01 AM
  5. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+31
    Why don't you just move the site to a host like Linode where you can control the PHP version, get it back and running on 5.6 then make a copy to start planning the future?

Have you looked at the actual code to see where the incompatibilities are with PHP 7.2?

6. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+420
    The first incompatibilities I hit was preg_replace with the /e modifier. They are non-trivial to rewrite.
    Moving the site to a server with PHP 5.6 is the first thing I'm going to do. I'm now looking at just upgrading all the way to the newest IPB.

7. Jura

Jura Devotee

+233
    I was on IPB3 earlier this year. I upgraded PHP version and upgraded the forum software to latest.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,218
    IPB3 -> XF 1.5 (has importer) -> XF 2.1

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
  10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,662
    I'm only seeing IPB 3.1 in the import tools.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.