IPB 1.3

Cafonauta

Aspirant
Hi all,

Has someone a working ancient IPB 1.3 to share?
It was OS so I think we do not break any license.

Thank you in advance

doubt

Tazmanian
Has someone a working ancient IPB 1.3 to share?
It was OS so I think we do not break any license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invision_Power_Board
The first releases of Invision Power Board were available as a download free of charge under a proprietary license. The last version released under these conditions was Invision Power Board 1.3. A minor update to 1.3 was released under a new license which allowed free of charge use for evaluation purposes only. Because of this, version 1.3 is commonly used on free forum hosts such as InvisionFree. Since its release, many exploits have been found, but many patches have been produced by the community that fix most of these issues.

Make sure that you have the patches for it.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
This ancient version was released in 2004, with little to no chance for futureproofing.
If it's for a new forum, you'd better pick a modern free script like MyBB and maybe style it like classic IPB. Actively maintained scripts will save you headaches and grant you access to thriving ecosystems for skins and addons, unlike going with a near-vanilla version noone mods for.

Danielx64

Developer
Even if someone has a copy lying around, would it be legal to share it?

Danielx64

Developer
Yes but it still not clear as it quite possible that you had to get a license key at the time, just like you do today.

Cafonauta

Aspirant
Yes but it still not clear as it quite possible that you had to get a license key at the time, just like you do today.

Are you planning on upgrading to IPB3 or some other system? In both cases you should be able to import from just a database without needing the files to run the board.

Hi Daniel I continue here from another thread where I asked the same question:

https://theadminzone.com/threads/ipb-1-3-running-on-php5-3.99696/page-2#post-1033494

I have a working IPB 3.X license but I manage another forum hosted on a free platform: http://www.forumgratis.org/
They run a slightly modified IPB 1.3 hence according to Invision a migration to 3.X should be feasible.
Unfortunately I don't have a working IPB 1.3 on my computer so I cannot upgrade. I have only my DB backup form the free hosting services. (I have no access to the forum filesystem)
Hence, first of all, I would ask if someone has a working ancient IPB 1.3 to share. It was OS so I think we do not break any license. It's like searching for an unicorn!

On Invision forum they tolde me the same, just import the 1.3 database in a fresh 3.4 which I have. Actually I get a lot of errors and it doesn't work. I'm a noob and I did not get further explanations. If this is the way to go. Could I get more details?

I know some guys that were successful to export the hosted forum database to a full 3.X IPB but they used a full local 1.3 installation. Basically they:

Imported the online forum database into a local full 1.3 installation
1.3 > 2.04
2.04 > 3.X

Thank you all

Cafonauta

Aspirant
Just to be clear. I'm not trying to run my own forum on a IPB 1.3. (i would be crazy)
I'm just trying to leave this free service (http://www.forumgratis.org/) without loosing all my data (forums, topics, members...) and migrate to a full owned service.
I haven't decided which product I will use yet. I have a IPB working license fro another forum but I do not like the new 4.X version....

Anyway having a working IPB 3.x is a good start to migrate anywhere...

JayCeeS

The Alpacas Are After Me
Are they willing to give you the data? Might check into that. I know from my own experience from way back using Forumer that some/all those services own your data and will not release it. I told them see ya and went with IPB without the "free" hosting and it was the best choice I ever made, it was well worth losing the little bit of data I had.

Danielx64

Developer
The guy has the database, it a matter of trying to get it converted to something else so that it usable.

macfive

Neophyte
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was doing some web searches and had to respond. I have been running Invision Board 1.3 since about 2001? Started out as the base install then did alot of different upgrades over the years with mods people wrote. Then wrote my own mods and then this year converted the site over to https. I'll give a link below if you want to check it out. What I am looking for if anyone knows how to fix the IB code where you can select a block of text and then choose an IB code and it wraps the code automatically. For some reason edge and google don't work with this. I have to go back to IE to get it to work. I havn't explored yet where this code is but if anyone has gone through this would love to know!

SMWLF

Neophyte
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was doing some web searches and had to respond. I have been running Invision Board 1.3 since about 2001? Started out as the base install then did alot of different upgrades over the years with mods people wrote. Then wrote my own mods and then this year converted the site over to https. I'll give a link below if you want to check it out. What I am looking for if anyone knows how to fix the IB code where you can select a block of text and then choose an IB code and it wraps the code automatically. For some reason edge and google don't work with this. I have to go back to IE to get it to work. I havn't explored yet where this code is but if anyone has gone through this would love to know!

Big IPB 1.3 fan here. I have some experience with this version. I messaged you via Contact Us on your site. :)