iOS 11.4 - the battery killer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zappaDPJ, Jun 15, 2018.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    I know this been a thing for some while but for the first time I've noticed an iOS update has had a detrimental effect on my year old iPhone SE. In fact it's pretty much destroyed it.

Prior to the update it rarely went below 85% after an overnight charge but since the update I can run the battery flat in a less than an hour using something like Google maps.

I was going to make a warranty claim until Google returned nearly 7 million hits for iOS 11.4 killed my battery.

If you haven't already upgraded, I'd wait.

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    I have the same phone and I'm not seeing that at all.

It may well be just a coincidence. I've found in the past that when the battery dies on an iPhone it dies fast.

Too many people reporting to be a dead battery coincidence, but it may well have to do with iOS 11.4 altering the background settings. Re-check your settings: limit location services, turn off hotspot, and limit apps refreshing in the background.

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8425599

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8409995

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    Thanks, that's given me some ideas on where to look. I have wondered sometimes if previous updates have changed some of my preferences but dismissed it as it seemed an odd thing to do.

4. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    I do vaguely recall that when my phone rebooted after the update it was asking me to change some settings. Rather than read what they were I just said no to anything but it seems to me if you were in a hurry or not paying close attention it would be easy to approve those changes.

5. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+673
    Keep in mind batteries do have a natural shelf life. Mine has actually been acting that way even before my last update but I regularly use things like location services.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    I made the same post on another forum I manage and I'm certainly not the only one with this issue although the effect it's having seems to vary.

There appears to be no problem with my actual battery according to the built in health setting. It reports 97% maximum capacity.

7. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456
    Its a thing. ios 11.4 has a battery drain bug.

Turn off Bluetooth - that seems to be the big drain for me.

8. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,230
    This.

My wife was complaining that her SE was using up battery quick, so I took a look and Bluetooth was enabled.

I turned that off and its been fine since.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,405
    It's always been enabled on my phone, I use it for hours every day to drive my sound system or as a hand control unit. I'll turn it off for a couple of days and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the tip.

10. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456
    Also, ios 11.41 is in testing - hopefully it'll fix the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+673
    I have an Apple Watch that I rely on so that’s not an option for me, unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.