Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,828
    What wiki software did you use ?
    Any hints as to why the wikis didn't work out

3. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Aspirant

+31
    I've used MediaWiki and then Vaultwiki.

Basically the issue was that and I'll admit to this but basically I came in with the wrong mindset.

"I've never failed at a forum project before, how hard can a wiki be?"

Well the answer was really hard. Most forum admins are used to an envirnment where they are in control. Wikis are usually made for large amounts of information and its upkeep and not much discussion. This means you have to have editors, writers, and an environment where anyone can edit it any thing(with limitations of course) like wikipedia. Not everyone is ready for that kind of envirnment. I then tried it later on RpNation with VaultWiki and another site and I still couldn't get that kind of envirnment to kick off.

Ultimately I learned a few things:

A). Either have a wiki or a forum. Its insanely hard to do both, whether its intergrated or not. Just requires too many humans to manage.

B). Wikis are not a way to retain regular discussion and traffic, its meant to be an amazing resource for the internet.

I do still plan to attempt some things in the future but to organize and collect existing information and articles from sites, nothing from scratch.

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,828
    I hope that's not true.
    I've still never seen a good Wiki/Forum combo.
    The best wiki/forum combo has the right integration.

Especially Mediawiki.
    Unfortunately, Vaultwiki was designed with Mediawiki in mind. Like a Mediawiki for Forums. To me, that's the wrong role model.

Good points

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.