Interview with Scott Molinari - Creator of Skooppa!

By The Sandman · Aug 12, 2014 ·
  1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,544
    The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Scott Molinari - Creator of Skooppa!

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+439
    I really enjoyed reading that. There's a lot of good advice in there - thank you Scott! :)

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,167
    Well worth reading, great interview :tup:

4. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+753
    Nice interview. Nicely conceived by Scott and Howard.

5. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+811
    Always have enjoyed to hear what Scott has to say, Fantastic Interview. :tup:

6. AndyB

AndyB Participant

+55
    I really enjoyed the interview. Thank you, Scott and Howard.

7. agandl

agandl Fan

+232
    Great interview, good to get to know a bit more about you Scott :)

I was interested to learn a bit more about the history of vB too, having come so late to the world of forums

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Thank you Scott and Howard!

9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,828
    Great article. Scott and I feel quite similar about online communities and moving beyond threads.

10. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
    Thanks everyone.

It is funny and really interesting what just happened. I saw the interview was posted (thanks Howard!:)) and was hoping some of you had gone to http://project.skooppa.com to register and I went to look and Pow! I see the site is down and I am thinking, "WTF! How did that happen. Unbelievable!":mad:

And this is why I also want to get Skooppa going. With a VPS or your own server, etc. you are responsible for any "uptime", as the site's owner. If the Skooppa site (which currently is on a root server and is NOT Skooppa) had been busy (thankfully it isn't.... yet), who knows how long people would have been met with the "502 Bad Gateway" error message. That just simply sucks. Maybe I need to also invest in a system that will warn me automatically, when the site isn't working properly. I thought I had turned off everything that might interfere with the site (like the admin panel doing its own updates..ugh!o_O) and looky, looky here, there is still something throwing a wrench into the cogs of the site. Now I have to go find out what happened and fix that too. See, a service shouldn't make its customers worry about the service, yet currently hosting services, unless they are truly well managed and thus more costlier, leave the customer doing exactly that......worrying about the service. Terrible.:( Skooppa will definitely fix that!:tup:

Scott

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  11. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of Transition ⚧

+5,295
    Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Late to the party again... Will have to give this a thorough read a little later.
    Great to see this interview The SandmanThe Sandman. Will have a few comments later :)

J.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  12. s.molinari

+1,958
    Here is a bit better image of the editor. I just noticed the one in the interview is a bit fuzzy.
    skooppa_code_editor.jpg
    Scott

13. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    Now I know the man behind Skoopa and ... fun read!;-)

14. punchbowl

punchbowl Adherent

+115
    Have to say, I only know Scott through online interactions and we haven't had that many but what I really appreciate about the guy is the ability to have an argument about some strongly held belief and still keep it civil. And even more so he desperately wants to understand the opposing view. He rarely just dismisses it as stupid/irrelevant/etc. I appreciate that because so many people are completely entrenched with their views.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  15. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    s.molinaris.molinari - great interview. I suggest you provide a little intro as to what Skooppa is on your site somewhere. When you go to the forum home you can't figure out easily what you've landed on. For some reason, I think the name is perfect for chewing tobacco - I'm not sure why but probably it has to do with my youth, seeing commercials during baseball games, lol. Best of luck with it!!!!

16. s.molinari

+1,958
    esquireesquire - thanks. As for intro to Skooppa, do you mean something like this? Or do you mean there needs to be an introduction in the forum?

About the name. It will probably hit people in many different ways. Main thing, it hits people. Who would have thought in the 1990's "Google" would have become an everyday word?;)

Scott

17. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    No - just a quick slogan or line that states why you exist. Regarding the name, it's fine... I'm just trying to figure out why I keep thinking the way I do, lol. Maybe because it doesn't look stock English - looks like a Scandanavian word to me. Many times that works where you get a foreign word to use as a concept.

18. s.molinari

+1,958
    Hehe...yeah. It was intentional to have a European touch to the name and it was a good excuse not to pronounce it like most americans would.;)

As for slogans. It is difficult to find one good one, since we are covering so many bases. "The first ever PaaS for online communities" or "One stop shop for website application development for online communities" or "The better social network" or "Website hosting, completely different". :) I think once we move forward, each one of these might have its place and time as a slogan.

Scott

19. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,486
    This was an awesome interview and amazing read. :) Good job s.molinaris.molinari on Skooppa. :)

20. s.molinari

+1,958
    Thank you Altari.:)

Scott

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.