Interview with Joshua Williams - IPS Development Coordinator

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Joshua Williams - IPS Development Coordinator

Joshua Williams, the Development Coordinator for IPS (Invision Power Systems), is the next person of interest to the TAZ Community to be subjected to an in-depth interview. Josh is very excited about the current and future IPS offerings, especially Invision Nexus. I'd like to thank Josh for taking the time to participate in this - TAZ interviews aren't easy to do. :unhunh:

=====================================

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm 24 years old and I live in Lynchburg, VA. I'm originally from Oklahoma, but I moved to Virginia to work for IPS. I have family in California also, so holidays are always a challenge for me. I live alone with my cat and drive a rather boring Sonata - at least it gets good gas mileage. ;)

What is your educational background?

I have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and an associate’s degree in Math.

What do you consider to be your accomplishments?

Probably my degree in Computer Science, I was the first person in my family to receive a college degree and it's something I'm very proud of. Eventually I want to go back to college and work on a Masters Degree. I'm also very happy with how Invision Nexus is turning it out, but I'll talk more about that in a later question.

Any failures you'd like to tell us about?

Well I definitely had a few in college, but overall nothing too major. All you can do is try to learn from your failures and not repeat them.

How did you first get into coding / programming?

Wow, it's kind of hard to remember now - programming has been a part of my life for a very long time. I guess I first got into because I wanted to learn how to make games. I spent a long time playing with a Game Creator called Megazeux that had its own programming language called Robotic. Eventually I started working on a website about that, and began learning PHP in the process. I also dabbled in C, Perl, and a few other languages around this time. After that I started my computer science degree and kept on with it.

How did you become involved with IPB and how did you come to be on the IPS staff?

This is actually a very long story, so I'll try not to ramble too much. As I mentioned previously, I worked on a website for Megazeux. I'd gone through several forums I didn't like and then found Ikonboard. Only problem was that Ikonboard had not been released, but it was active on Matt's Website. I came...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

joshdw1

Developer
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed the interview and thanks to Sandman for the great questions :)

MikeDammann

Frog Engine Forum
What are your own personal issues and areas of dissatisfaction with IPB and IBS as a whole that you are trying to attack ASAP?

Automatic

Aspirant
its always nice to read something about the developers that power the forums we read. enjoyed the interview along with some of the other interviews. Keep up the good work.