Interview with Chris D - XenForo Developer

Read more about this article here...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,337
    About time. :) I will have to read through this in folk later.

3. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,544
    Not to feed the conspiracy theorists, but I have it on good authority that Brogan and Donald Trump have never been seen in the same place at the same time - they could well be one and the same person!

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,167
    Good read, guys! :tup:

I have to ask about the walls in the office... is that a crazy wallpaper design, cloth hanging up, or blurred to get rid of stuff that was hanging on the walls?

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,013
    Any changes to the permissions system itself, such as:
    We've removed the "Permissions" feature because people often misunderstood how it was supposed to work, and it was later superseded by the "Clear Permissions" feature which is basically much clearer, and easier to use.

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,698
    Heh, I did wonder if someone would pick up on this. The walls are plain magnolia; no wallpaper or other textures. The picture isn't edited either.

I think it's reflections from the light shade that's in there; it's metal and glass so I suspect it's casting some interesting shapes on the wall.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,013
    Can be.
    Why is he playing fool when he's wearing the Trump mask?

8. Chris D

+1,698
    The permissions feature is not changing per se but we have some ideas regarding the UI. Nothing to confirm yet.

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of Transition ⚧

+5,295
    Ha! This was a completely delightful interview. You have a loving looking family Chris DChris D ... Lilly is the adorablest. And your wife is kinda hot :p Congrats on the new home purchase as well. Reading this has got me excited about XF 2 to be sure. Is there any ETA on when to expect the first 'have you seen' threads as for XF 2? Anyway - Congrats on the success. It sounds like things are working out great for you and your family and the entire XF development team.

Sorta mad at the last answer redactions though yehehehhe. Too funny.
    Thanks for taking the time for the interview and much appreciation The SandmanThe Sandman

J.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    Interesting read :tup:

Do you really work with only one VDU Chris DChris D?

11. Chris D

+1,698
    Yep.

I have been meaning to get another.

Though, generally my workflow has adjusted around working with only one. For example, if I'm not in my office, I'm on my 13" MacBook Pro; so then not only a single screen, but also a small one.

It doesn't bother me and I still manage to be productive so I guess buying another screen hasn't been a top priority.

My next computer purchase may well be a 27" 5K Mac. If I do that, I may well relegate the current display to my secondary display connected to that.

That said, my laptop has seen better days so that may be due for an upgrade sooner...

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    You really should and once you do you'll wonder how you managed with one. The last time one of my VDUs died it felt like I'd lost an arm :D

13. Chris D

+1,698
    The funny thing is, I used to have two. I know it will be useful, but for me it isn't crucial.

I do a considerable amount of work on my laptop, so I guess the reasoning is, if I became so dependent on having two screens, would that make me less productive when using my laptop? I don't want to be using my laptop to work and feel like I've got an arm missing :)

But, yeah, still considering it. I think I would have probably done it sooner, but I've been trying to make up my mind for a while about what to do with my office PC. I built it myself in 2012 so that's also due an upgrade or replacement. I just need to decide whether I do that or replace it entirely with a Mac.

14. The Sandman

+5,544
    Interesting that you have a PC and a Mac - most people seem to go all in one way or the other. Is it useful for development purposes to have one of each?

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    I'd say just more productive on the desktop :) I also use iPads and other single screen devices and don't find them particularly limiting for what I used them for but when it comes to sound mixing/editing or Photoshop work I would be lost with a single screen. (My main PC is primarily used as a recording studio.)

I've been thinking the same for a year or two. My problem is the cost involved. I'm not too bothered about the hardware, I've even considered a Mac Pro, it's the cost of replacing all the software I use, about four time the cost of a Pro :eek:

16. Chris D

+1,698
    To an extent, yes, but it's not crucial.

If I went all Mac, I could easily run Windows in a VM if I needed it.

17. The Sandman

+5,544
    In that case, I'd say go ahead and get yourself that mondo Mac. You deserve it!

18. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+109
    Enjoyed the interview! Glad he was able to put a desk together. I did one recently and I cussed up a storm almost imploded it!

Nice to see XenForo is moving forward.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of Transition ⚧

+5,295
    HA. Folks said on the walmart.com website that the desk I currently have was super-easy to put together; that you could do it in a matter of 10 minutes or less. 2 hours later I'm cussing up a storm and so frustrated. I'm not very technically inclined. 4-5 hours later - I finally have the dang thang put together. Talk about frustration LOL...

J.

20. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+109
    One I had issues with was from Ikea, one of those flat-packs. I had to get some shelves too, but had a neighbour help. He slapped those together faster then an install of a XenForo forum. :eek: But the forum is a lot easier for me to "put together" then a desk!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.