Interview with Ashley Busby - XenForo's Business Guy

By The Sandman · Oct 2, 2010 ·
  1. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Aspirant

+6
    Can't see him much on XF anymore (not as before). Wondering is there is something new cooking there :)
    (A CMS maybe???)

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    He isn't part of the Developer team.

3. Liam W

Liam W Coder/Designer

+56
    Really interesting!

Liked the pricing question (and the response ;))

I still cant figure out what to price my paid addons, let alone an entire software...

Liam

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,952
    Usually, you need to look for the possible demand your product may have and calculate the price according to that demand (= what you expect in return for your work), plus weigh in the willingness for consumers to pay the price you come up with. That is the basics of any offer placed on a free market economy.:)

Edit, and of course, if you run a business, you must also weigh in the cost of production and profit margins. They need to also be covered by the price and demand.;)

Scott

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,256
    The fact that so many XF add-ons are paid add-ons for even the smallest of functionality is a major turn off of the product to me. I have several licenses, and XF certainly does not have a price advantage once all the add-ons are factored in to make it as functional as it should be right out of the box. I can understand for major product add-on but many which charge are not.

6. Liam W

Liam W Coder/Designer

+56
    I only have one paid addon, and it's one that I spent ages working on getting working correctly.

I believe that people should be able to use addons even if they don't have funds, however, I make my addons in my free time, and if I get nowt for them, I sorta wonder why I do it ;)

Liam

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,692
    I can understand that this doesn't sit well with many, but it does mean that xenforo is pulling away developers from other platform, which will make the XF addon directory bigger and bigger. So it has its advantages as well. Another thing is that customers expect more from developers. After all they paid for it. The really crappy coders get criticism from customers, which would not happen as much if addons were free. In the latter case low skilled coders would stay under the radar more.

8. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Yeah, can't say I like that side of XF. It's like everybody jumped on the bandwagon to make money - due to features XF lacked out the box. And some paid mods offered should be free, too basic in what they do. There's nothing wrong with people doing that, but as you say, you have to factor all that cost in on-top of buying XF if you want those extra features.

But does look as though XF is now trying to add more out the box in 1.3.

9. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,952
    This is also something we are looking at and keeping very much in mind.

In general though, I think this boils back down to an application also being a platform of sorts and is exactly the reason why we decided to build a platform for applications first. We want and expect devs to dedicate their time to create whole applications on the platform and for that, they certainly should earn money.

There will also be extensions to the applications, but we expect, because of the clear differences between the platform, the applications and the extensions, that there will also be a general overall deterrence to ask for money for extensions of the applications, as the amount of effort and the resulting work and especially customers knowing who is earning what for what work, will all be put into a much different perspective.

We will, however, not stop devs from asking for money for their extensions either. Our "store" will definitely be a micro market economy.;) The fun part will be creating the demand.....a big chicken and egg dilemma there. Hehehe....:D

Scott

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.