Interview with Ashley Busby - XenForo's Business Guy

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Ashley Busby - XenForo's Business Guy

Many of you will remember Ashley Busby as Jelsoft's Business Manager from 2004 until 2009. Ashley mostly worked behind the scenes back then. Now, he works with Mike and Kier as XenForo's Business Guy, and he pops his head out a lot more often now! Let's see if we can find out a little bit more about Ashley!

==========================================

What is your educational background?

My education is ongoing at the university of life and business in the real world. I have worked in numerous industries such as banking, retail and investment houses. I have gained experience in a variety of fields which has proved invaluable in my role as Business Guy.

How long have you been involved in the business of forum software development? What got you into it?

I have been directly involved with the business of forum software development for nearly 6 years. Indirectly, somewhat longer than that – I have known Kier for a long time and was aware of his involvement, in forum software, from the start. I was in awe at how forum software evolved. When the opportunity presented to become involved, I was pleased to make the change.

Are you involved in other projects besides XenForo?

Even if there was time available, which there isn’t, I would not want to be distracted by anything else other than XenForo. Obviously we all have to fit our daily lives into working with XenForo and there are times when one (daily life or XenForo) takes precedence – I’m sure can you guess which? It can sometimes make one unpopular.

What are the short, medium, and long term responsibilities of a "XenForo Business Guy"? Which takes up more of your time - day to day duties or planning ahead?

Currently the emphasis is on making XenForo available for sale. This means that there are a plethora of things that need to be in place for this to happen and I get to do the non technical bits. We are also constantly talking to each other about how we want to deal with other matters that have arisen. There is much going on behind the scenes. Our strategy for the medium term is largely dependent on the response in the short term as we have been keen not to take anything for granted or base anything on assumptions. The day to day tasks take up more time during the day and we tend to bunch our planning together in big chunks and deal with matter arising in general terms and discuss any details as and when necessary.

In the long term, the strategy...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelley

Tazmanian
Excellent Interview thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Another badminton player. :) :tup:

nguoivohinh511

Enthusiast
Excellent. Love how thoughtful these gentlemen behind XenForo are. Best of luck to all of them and XF

EQnoble

Neophyte
I think they put something in the global water supply, I'm over here shaking fiendishly waiting for the release of this on the fifth. Anytime a "Business Guy" takes the time to address the people who patron the company that pays him, you can guess that he feels strongly enough about the product he is backing to get out there and let us know he wont be going anywhere. This is a confidence boost and I appreciate any company who treats their customers like people at an eye-to-eye level. This software has my stamp not only because of the software itself, but the security I feel when I know people like Ashley and the rest of the staff would actually take the time to message me back when I have a question or comment. I'm am not worried about some failure down the road. They are repaving it.

vijayninel

Ave atque vale
I dont think it will be a cakewalk for Xenforo in the forum software market. It will take them time to challenge the establishment. However I do think that they have a good chance of making it big in the market.

Thanks for the great interview Sandman. :)

Brogan

Enthusiast
I've actually been fortunate enough to speak with Ashley and he's a solid guy.

Nice to learn a bit more about him.

wtrk

Participant
Weak interview, you might as well have copy and pasted his old interviews about vBulletin and just replaced vBulletin with Xenforo. You didnt even ask about the most important issue, whats going to happen to Xenforo in the long run with the IB lawsuits, etc.. I think Xenforo is a nice product, but I wouldnt risk my lively hood switching to it without knowing whats going to happen with the lawsuits.

The Sandman

Administrator
Weak interview, you might as well have copy and pasted his old interviews about vBulletin and just replaced vBulletin with Xenforo. You didnt even ask about the most important issue, whats going to happen to Xenforo in the long run with the IB lawsuits, etc.. I think Xenforo is a nice product, but I wouldnt risk my lively hood switching to it without knowing whats going to happen with the lawsuits.
This interview was conducted before the litigation was announced.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
If he's using the software, and it has to be shut down/
That's the only reason I bought IPB, I really like XenForo but the thought of being screwed if they loose the law suit kept me from buying it.

Taylor

Sexier Than You
What's the latest with the Internet Brands lawsuit? It seems to have gone on a while now.
XenForo's forums have updates. xenforo.com/community. Prolly a better place to ask than a 2-year-old interview thread. :)

rdokoye

Neophyte
I guess from the entire interview, the thing that struck me the most was the fact that, it appeared as though he was self taught, if I’m not mistaken. This to me shows that he has real passion for what he’s doing, maybe that’s something that we can all take from the interview, that passion overrides all.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I guess from the entire interview, the thing that struck me the most was the fact that, it appeared as though he was self taught, if I’m not mistaken. This to me shows that he has real passion for what he’s doing, maybe that’s something that we can all take from the interview, that passion overrides all.
If only most companies felt the same way.....

Scott