Internet before search engines. Internet in the 90's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockerfox, Jun 20, 2018.

1. rockerfox

rockerfox Enthusiast

+21
    I remember those days,back then it was only aol and such and back then people needed to know how to work a computer before they could connect to the internet. Luckily my father back then knew computer science so he was able to get on the internet back then

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,840
    I believe AOL didn't connect to the Internet until 1993. By then the Excite search engine existed. 1994, the Lycos, Web Crawler and Infoseek search engines were around. Alta Vista, the former king of search, in 1995.

I got on the Internet in the 80s, via dial-up to telnet sessions at a couple of local universities. They had public dial-in lines but few people outside the campuses knew about them (luckily I did!). Other than file downloads, and playing Adventure, Wumpus, Trek, Empire and such, occasionally Gopher and lots of connecting to distant universities to dial-out to local BBS system (by-passing the paid telephone long distance system!). Usenet groups too.

Though there were browsers before Mosaic, it's release and Netscape the next year, caused a fundamental change and the beginning of the web's massive growth. It was a fun time! Internet Explorer was horrible then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+602
    That far back, IE was a licensed rebranded Mosaic.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,840
    True, but unfortunately it was buggier and slower than Netscape to display. Netscape was so fundamentally better to me that I paid for it over using free IE and Mosaic.

5. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+602
    I miss the good Netscape 4.x.

6. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+844
    Me too. The first corporate intranet I built was on Netscape Server, running on a HP-UX K400 with two processors and a whopping 256MB of ram. Such power!

7. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+455
    I don't miss having to keep several versions of Netscape installed to check how web pages displayed though...

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,065
    Back then all you needed to succeed was do something first, and getting your site's url bookmarked for repeat visits.
    I miss those simpler times where obtaining favorable placement in directories's listings was an endorsement of quality.

9. roxanne

roxanne Aspirant

+3
    Oh wow, that was ages ago. However, I don't miss it...what a hassle to do anything.

10. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+844
    I do miss it. That was when the internet was fun. There was a sense of adventure and exploration in going online. We still had that feeling of amazement in reaching out with electric fingers to pull information back from places in far parts of the world.

11. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,060
    I dont miss the horrible speeds.

9.6k dialup ... ugh - until eventually I trippled my speed, to 28.8k ... wow ... so fast back then :)

12. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+844
    I actually liked dialup internet. It gave you a sense of actually doing something when you established that connection and got the confirmation tones. The anticipation while the information you'd been searching for downloaded was like Christmas every time.

Faster isn't always better. We may have 100mb+ internet now, but most of what we get from it is rubbish.

13. Taron

Taron Neophyte

+0
    Computer resides in AC chamber. It is out of reach for common people. Only rich can buy and maintain this. About internet, that was too slow.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.