Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Renshaw, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Anyone shed some light on this, keep getting it very often lately :(

Code:
    Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to
    complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@.... and inform
    them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
    have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    ErrorDocument to handle the request. 

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 Server at

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    It usually means just what it says - that your server has a configuration problem.

The error can occur occasionally due to a blip, where the server isn't able to respond to the http or ftp request for some unknown reason, but generally if it's repeated it's because something isn't configured correctly.

Contact tech support for your hosting service.

3. Jezlad

Jezlad Adherent

+2
    I used to get this every couple of days on my phpbb forum. I added so many hacks and changed so many things I managed to screw something up somehow.

Have you added a lot of mods or changed your forum templates/code at all?

4. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS All About Da-Cookies.

+97
    Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 Server at

looking at this i have only to assume one of a few things. in no specific order and i could be talkin out my butt here...

its an authorization issue. are you running on SSL? (https:www.domain.tld) ?

I see a mod_bwlimited/ ... is that a bandwidth limit on your hosting account?

it is obvious as Min has stated that you have configuration issues and i dont think it is within your site but more within the hosting server you are using. i suggest that you contact your host and request information or that they upgrade/update the necessary scripts and config files.

Yeah that is totally server side. email your host. the ssl is for encryption and the communication or permissions between/from apache to your PHP is obviously somehow experiencing issues. thats what i am seeing when i read that code. again.. i could know nothing and be complete left field right now.

5. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    That is the very recognizable signature of a server running cPanel. Those modules are all running by default, and yes, bwlimited is there for enforcing quotas (if set).

Agreed. However, as it is cPanel, you can check the server error log yourself. I haven't used it in ages, but it's viewable in the logs area. Your host can help you find it if you can't stumble upon it.

The OpenSSL is always part of the server signature if the mod_ssl module is loaded, even when not using SSL itself. My best guess is a server configuration error, or similar.

There is also the possibility that mod_security is installed and one of the filters is seeing something it doesn't like, which usually results in it killing PHP and causing the error.

Either way, the server error logs will have the important details on the cause.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.