Interesting email from Google - update your out of date version of vBulletin

rudedog

Jim
Received an email from the "Google Search Console Team" regarding my installation of vB 3.x Granted updated to the latest vB3.x and the "Security Issues" button comes back with a clean bill of heath. I did find it interesting that google is now scanning for outdated server software.

ac2.staticflickr.com_2_1469_24615120455_78e20bf34f_o.png

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
That is interesting.

Where does the vBulletin Update link take you to? What was said in the Security Issues link?

I wonder if they are going to start penalizing sites for running older software.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
They've done this before... I remember people getting such emails a year or so ago, maybe further back.

Personally I wonder if they aren't affiliates making a percentage by sending people to the site to purchase upgrades.

rudedog

Jim
First link takes you to the basic vb.com home page http://www.vbulletin.com

The second link takes you to googles console page (under my google account). This is what the page read
Security Issues
Currently, we haven't detected any security issues with your site's content. If you want to learn more about security issues and how they could affect your site, review our resources for hacked sites.

However, if you see a malware warning in the browser when navigating to your site, it's likely that your site is referencing code or content from another domain that has malware. Read up on cross-site malware and learn how to address it.​

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Personally I wonder if they aren't affiliates making a percentage by sending people to the site to purchase upgrades.

That would certainly be a pretty crappy way to do things if it is true.

rudedog

Jim

At first that is what I thought (after going threw the email's header to make sure it was in fact from Google). As mentioned above, just the basic home page of vB, no affiliate links

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
When I clicked on the link I was redirected through Google, I don't know what may have been done before being dropped off at the main homepage.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
When I clicked on the link I was redirected through Google, I don't know what may have been done before being dropped off at the main homepage.

Well if I was to get something like that, they would loose out. Cause I would not use the link, I would go directly to vB myself.

But I would not upgrade simply cause Google said I should either, I know if the version I am running is the latest patched version or not.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
That's why Google tells them.

Obviously they have no clue either.

Granted updated to the latest vB3.x and the "Security Issues"

The site is updated the latest patched version of vB3. So Google don't know diddly. Sure seems to me like they are trying to scare unsuspecting admins into buying vB5 and upgrading to that.

Tecca

Fan
Google is all about security, they're major advocates of it. They might be wrong about it not being secure, but I don't think we should jump to the most shady conclusion off the bat.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Google is all about security, they're major advocates of it. They might be wrong about it not being secure, but I don't think we should jump to the most shady conclusion off the bat.

If they were worried about the security, they would already know the site in question was running the latest patched version of the software that is available for the 3.X version. At a bare minimum they should at least tell the user what the latest version is of the series the user is running, instead of trying to scare them into upgrading, and not telling them what they should upgrade to.

It is not Googles responsibility, it is the owner of the site to know what the latest version is.

Tecca

Fan
It's just a recommendation, nobody has to do anything. It's bringing attention to the person that's running the Webmaster account. Because within a large business, not everybody knows the ins and outs of their assets. They can bring that issue up with whoever handles that stuff. Google's services are very much targeted toward structured businesses.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Sure it's a recommendation but I still don't see the need for it.

First they are saying you are running a outdated version and it can be vulnerable, but it is not. Anything below 5.2.1 then can be considered by Google as outdated and vulnerable then, which is not the case.

As for bringing attention to the owner/webmaster, they should already know what the last updated version is for the series they are running is. If the owner don't know, he/she needs to take steps to stay on top of things to know what the let eat available is. If a owner is paying a webmaster to handle such things for them, and the webmaster don't know what the latest version of the series is, they need to be let go and find a more competent webmaster to handle their site.

Last edited:

Alpha1

Administrator
Google has a point. vb3 and 4 rely on very outdated unsupported libraries and technology. This naturally will cause security vulnerabilities. Its happened many times now and it will happen again. However, its a bad idea to upgrade to vb5.

rudedog

Jim
Funny thing is I'm not running the latest and greatest php or mysql and they didn't mention those being outdated. I'll give Google the benefit of the doubt on those, as they may be a little more aware what is secure vs latest releases.

HallofFamer

Habitué
So IB is affliliated with google to urge users upgrade to VB5? That's interesting, it does seem that IB starts to worry about the hilariously low VB5 usage as compared to older versions. And instead of improving the quality of VB5, they choose this approach to make users 'upgrade'.

Adam H

** Retired **
Talk about conspiracy theory's lol, Google have done it for all kind of platforms for years, namely out of date wordpress installs because that simple prompt from Google is sometimes enough to get the webmaster to action it, they maybe stepping up their notifications and extending the system thats already in for scripts which no longer follow best practice for google search results, like potentially vbulletin 3..........who knows.

The reason they don't "currently" notify on server related updates is because they know for the majority of users servers updates will be out of general joe blogs control so its a pointless exercise.

Sometimes you have to let people think for them selves rather than being prompted but the occasional nudge in the side to remind someone of an out of date script to a possibly forgotten site can't be seen as a bad thing.........unless your a member of Taz and then every man and his dog is affiliated with vbulletin lol.