Interesting Article about Ad Codes slowing down browser speeds

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by capbiker, Feb 17, 2019.

1. capbiker

capbiker Aspirant

+1
    I read this, and thought that it was an interesting article.

2. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+21
    That bit about sampling one million web sites is sort of hard to believe, my apologies to that researcher. I'd really like to first have the details on how one goes about checking one million websites in a proper period of time. Well, obviously it is done through a specially written program, but maybe a tad bit of some details to offer credibility might be a good idea at the BBC reporter end. But even using a program, that is one heck of a lot of websites for any research project.

And towards the end was this:

The "big file sizes" really does seem significant, as I know that when Google upgraded - - - so they claim - - - upgraded their Gmail product the darn things loaded so slowly; and still do. And about 6 hours ago I had to get into an older msn account and my gosh that was slow - - - so slow, too.

But I am not being friendly to Microsoft because I am still using the Win7 OS and have to use their 'much want to throw away' last IE browser that's works with Win7 and I am sure that Microsoft purposely makes things hard for us that won't jump into their 'latest OS and browser' bus. I am of the Merry Pranksters mold and don't mind staying with the older OS. Still better than my Trash80, for sure.

One million websites?

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+199
    It's what we've known all along, advert scripts ruin web browsing which is why people use ad blockers. Many websites are actually unusable on some devices and on some slower connections.

The article quotes The Register, so there's a lot more info in the original piece here:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/15/javascript_delay_analytics/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+996
    Can't check a million websites, but can use the internet to let every single person on Earth vote in a one-world government election.

Meanwhile, no kidding? Third party content from servers delivering that content to millions of sites might slow load times? Whoda thunk it, Captain Obvious. Anyone even slightly versed in webmastering knows this. Adverts SLOW DOWN LOADING.

Duh.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
  5. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+129
    At work, we still use IE11 and likely will be until the end of 2020. It doesn't cause me any issues tbh.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,197
    For "research" that went through the trouble of sampling a million web sites, they sure didn't take the trouble to actually measure render time and first paint time. The time it takes for everything to load, and for all javascript to run is irrelevant. Had they done that, the study would be far more accurate.

What matters is time to render the page content and layout. A page can load, and if the ad javascript is non-blocking (pre-sizing DIVs ads are in, async ad code), then the page will render about the same speed with or without ads - even on mobile. On such pages, the user can start reading immediately. The ad boxes load independently of the page content rendering. On sites using code like this, only on the slowest of connections where bandwidth is the bottleneck (and not round-trip latency and the number of fetches) will they render slower.

While many sites don't deliver ads asynchronously into pre-sized DIVs, many do --- so timing how long it takes the entire payload of a page to complete is a poor metric for the study to use. Then again, it wouldn't grab as many headlines and clicks if they presented it properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    I think websites that allow video and the audio ads definitely slow down the web page from loading. I mean that's expected. Not just that anything like Infolinks and Viglinks that scans the content for the keywords before loading ads also slows down the page.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.