Installing XenForo on a sub-domain instead of /

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by tokyoice, May 17, 2019.

1. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    hey all,

Wanting some help here please. I want to install XenForo on xenforo.mydomain.com instead of mydomain.com/xenforo.

I currently have WordPress installed on the root.

Any help to achieve this would be really appreciated!

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    Make a folder called XenForo on mydomain.com and install XF there.
    You will have mydomain.com/XenForo
    In the site's control panel make XenForo to be a subdomain.
    Your forum will be accessible as mydomain.com/XenForo and XenForo.mydomain.com

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,098
    What control panel do you have? What you are looking for is called sub domain just look for that in the manual how to set it up.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    Hmmm... Seems like you'd simply need to install the XF into the directory of your choice - then simply add a sub-domain via cPanel. And not particularly in that order mind you. You probably should create the sub-domain first and simply add it as the url to the XF install. Should be a rather simple process using cPanel.

HTH,

J.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. we_are_borg

+2,098
    With plesk its different you’ll need to make sub domain and system tells you where to upload your files. But it’s basically the same idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    Thanks for your replies! Apologies forgot to mention what CP I am using (cPanel).

Okay, so I have installed XenForo on /community - however, I would like the URL to constantly stay on the subdomain (community.mydomain) - whenever I visit community.mydomain, there is a re-direction to /community.

See here: https://bit.ly/2LPYEJp

7. we_are_borg

+2,098
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    #1 Are you sure that you created that subdomain?
    #2 "Visitors cannot view your subdomain immediately. Changes to DNS records may require two days or more to reach all of the nameservers on the Internet."

9. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    Yep - see here:

arhodeworx.com_media_misc_xenforo.png
    [​IMG]

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    Then you have to wait for a few hours/days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    All working - thanks a lot for your help guys!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. PoetJC

+5,322
    Glad you got it working. Easy as Apple pie right.

J.

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+612
    DAMN you... now I gotta run to the store and get an apple pie. Why do you say stuff like that at 1:30AM? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. PoetJC

+5,322
    I'm pretty sure I said this at about noon with a pot of coffee and a slice of pie lmao. 1:30 am would present an entirely different list of edibles/drinkables.

But damn! Apple pie would be good right NOW!

J.

15. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+34
    Am I correct in thinking that those pies won't really be fresh if you picked one up at that time? :eek: :cry:

16. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,179
    All depends; if it's a local bakery then they'd likely be making them fresh at that time of day to prep for opening in the morning. Years ago, when I was a but a wee lad in my teens, I worked for a mom & pop bakery and it was rare that any actual baking was done while the store front was open, the real work started around midnight.

By coincidence I did have some apple pie tonight, but it was from Costco, not a local shop. Still tasty though.

17. Jim McClain

+612
    There is a bakery here in Quincy, CA that opens in the wee hours of the night, but they don't do apple pie right. So, if I have to have apple pie at that time of the night, I go to the 24hr grocery (Safeway) and buy off the shelf. It's not homemade, but it's not bad either. Serving it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream makes it a worthwhile late-night snack.

18. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+130
    Did you get it right? If you have cpanel you just set the subdomain and then install it. I did it myself few days ago, if you need help, give me a shout

19. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,179
    Do they have a storefront? Might make for a nice long exposure shot? ;) And you could get some fresh baked goods at the same time. :D

Looks like in #11 above he got it working so talk has turned to pies. :D

20. Jim McClain

+612
    They do, but it's about as inspiring as a brown paper bag. I'm kinda boycotting them anyway. They don't open on time (off by an hour sometimes), the owners, both healthy, park their vehicle in the only handicap space and their donut glaze has a sickly sweet taste - almost like the ultra sweet cough medicine mother used to spoon us kids.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.