Instagram implements 'Tachy goes to coventry' (Shadowbanning)

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Alfa1, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,649
    vbulletin 3 implemented the functionality 'Tachy goes to Coventry'. It was named after a friend of Kier.
    Later Craigslist, Reddit, Twitter implemented shadowbanning. All do the same thing: put the user on global ignore so only the user can see their own posts.

Instagram is now implementing the feature to counter bullies. Read more:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48916828
    Unfortunately the feature is not available for XenForo or IPS.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  2. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+113
    Shadow Banning is the prefered term, the other one just sounds weird.

This is also a terrible idea as these large corporations do not follow due process and you can get shafted really easily for any number of reasons.

3. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+907
    As someone who was born and grew up in and around Coventry, I feel this feature unfairly discriminates against people like me.

Then again, as someone who hates Coventry as much as the next bloke from Coventry, I highly approve of the name for this feature :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,176
    Why not shut it down? Is there even a point to Instagram other than posting inane pictures of your life or food as it were?

5. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+765
    Probably because they use this feature most to silence conservative voice across social media platforms. When you outright ban them...just look at Alex Jones and what happened after he was kicked from all the platforms within a span of 1-2 hours. They saw that and realized shadowbanning was more effective. They grew Alex Jones' audience like 10 fold. They don't want to do that for conservative voices. They want you to only hear Hollywood, athletes, musicians, universities/schools/institutes, and anyone with a leftist viewpoint (Google/Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, etc. are all ran by leftists looking to quiet the right voices and boosting the left). If you make it so conservative sources typically don't show up in Google and Youtube, make it so conservative news doesn't make it to r/all (or you just quarantine t_d after having it shadowbanned for the last couple years), or make it so pro-Trump/conservative news doesn't show up on trending hastags or news stories on Twitter and Fb, you quiet the voice down and it is less noticeable than an outright ban, thus less outrage.

inb4 this post gets deleted :p

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+907
    ^ Someone send this guy to Coventry, sounds like he needs a vacation ;)

7. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+692
    Some thoughts in no particular order:
    1. There was a really beautiful quote I read the other day on the rise of digital images.

I don't remember the exact phrase, but it went something like: humans have been drawing and sharing images since cave men days. We printed stuff with text because our technology wasn't advanced enough. We've now come full circle. It's more natural for humans to share expression through images.

Instagram is ultimately a communication tool. It's communication that inspires, delights, and expresses in ways that only images can do.

2. My next point is not addressed to any specific user, but to question a general attitude by legacy forum owners.

Legacy forum owners tend to have a very narrow view of the world. They have an instant, reactive dislike to social media with a dismissal attitude. With all due respect, no platform that's attracted a billion users should be dismissed.

You don't have to like social media. You don't even need to participate in social media. You should, however, make a point to understand it. In particular, you should understand how they're trouncing legacy communities with advances in mobility, in user interaction, in notifications, in behavioral gamifications, in content discovery, and in content promotion.

This doesn't mean online communities should embrace every feature from social media. But social networks like Facebook and Instagram lead the way in terms of UIX standards, while legacy forums are standing still. Even worse, legacy forum owners bemoan the rest of the world moving on, as if that's going go help them survive and thrive in the modern web.

Stop dismissing the competitors. Start analyzing, investigating, and understanding what makes them different, sticky, and attractive. Then host in-depth discussions with your platform vendor on whether or not you think communities of the future should integrate those features.

If you haven't investigated modern social community platforms like Amino Apps, MeWe, Facebook Groups, or LinkedIn Groups, you're missing out on the biggest subsections of community users and groups.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,251
    That's a post I wish I'd written. Well said :)

9. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,176
    His point would make sense if I still owned forums or helped run them. My view on social media is grim because there's far more bad than good, and the former outweighs the latter tenfold. I don't have an issue with Facebook, oddly. I don't have one or want to use it. I don't see the point of Twitter outside news headlines being tweeted before an article goes up. I certainly don't see the point of Instagram other than to document whatever random crap you're eating or doing that affects no one's life but yours.

To that point, there are a lot of forums I don't see the point of, too. Why are they there? They add nothing; they're mere off-topic sites that house the ramblings of people ages 13 to 90 or whatever the oldest a member would be. A site like TAZ is beneficial. A forum like offtopic.com, even in its heyday, was and still is a complete waste of space.

10. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    I think they introduced shadow banning for like last 1 year or so.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,176
    I believe that was based on reports and something automated on their end? I know that IG implemented some anti-harassment functions several years back because I recall reading it on some tech site. Keyword based comment-shadow-banning and something else I can't quite recall.

12. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+227
    Shadow banning is just another way that the social media companies can manipulate what we see to suit their left wing agendas.

seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+765
    Someone sounds like they don't look around. gg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,197
    It's well documented they do a lot of censorship of conservatives. Even been caught on camera saying they bias things, like Google saying they bias search results to fit a certain social view. One of them gave an example: CEOs of major companies. The search results show a far greater percentage of female and minority CEOs than the real world percentages. This is clearly not giving users a true picture.

I'm saying this someone who isn't a conservative and doesn't follow those outlets. I do, however, have problems with big social media companies doing this sort of censorship. Though they are private, they are also the modern equivalent of a public square. Many seem to be okay with it, or worse they chastise those who point it out. It's a good thing nobody here would do that sort of thing.

15. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    Yes they had feature where if someone took screenshot of story, it'd notify them. That feature along with shadowban was featured last year. The screenshot feature however was removed after few months.

16. MagicalAzareal

+113
    I agree in principle, although I think it is somewhat connected to the political rhetoric that platforms should be doing a lot more to police their content rather than acting like the more neutral carriers that they've always been.

It should not be up-to Google to decide what content is on there, whether they find a certain viewpoint abhorrent or not. And they certainly shouldn't exploit it as some sort of tool for social justice, if they're right, then their viewpoints are likely to prevail in the end, anything else is undemocratic and a poor imitation of China.

Things like the Christchurch Massacre haven't helped there as politicians have been trying to force all sorts of ridiculous and unrealistic deadlines for taking down content, which will naturally be extended to anything they "don't like". Yes, the massacre was abhorrent and disgusting, but it shouldn't be used as some sort of political pawn. This is why terrible AIs with high false positive rates have been quickly rushed out the door too.

17. cornnfedd

+227
    Its kind of funny as the Left want to more censorship and they want to make these companies accountable but at the same time say that they are a business so should be able to run it how they see fit. What many on the left dont realize is that if you try and remove conservative points of view you may get a quick win but they dont realise that its just a matter of time before the company comes for the left as well - in the end everybody looses and nobody wins.

I just dont see why we cant allow people to put up their point of view (wether we think its right or wrong) and then debate and discuss that point of view with facts and logic. I honestly believe that some people feel that if a comment or opinion is different to theirs then it must be removed... its just crazy.

The media isnt helping either here, they are doing everything they can to silence people as they realize the power of the media is dying as things like youtube get more popular, they are going broke. (get woke go broke) hahaha but silly youtube is pandering to said media... again its just crazy.

What we actually need is competition with these companies competing against each other, also what I dont understand is why say facebook for example just cant have levels of filters for people like. 1. Show me everything 2. Swear filter etc 3. Dont want to see...

etc etc you get the idea.

anyway the world is changing and our new overlords are facebook, instagram and youtube I guess, what a disaster.

18. MagicalAzareal

+113
    Part of what makes moderation so complicated is that some types of speech are illegal in some countries but not in others. "Hate speech", extremist viewpoints, racism (which really means that you're never allowed to criticise immigration policy), etc. are all illegal in Europe. The rabbit-hole goes very deep.

There is also left and then there's llleeefffttt, some leftist viewpoints aren't that bad in isolation, but everything taken to an extreme is bad and even the left will end being burnt when they realise what they're really supporting.

19. cornnfedd

+227
    Well the traditional Left have gone way Left nowdays.... The right hasnt really gone more right or extreme though. Even some traditional lefties are looking around and thinking what the hell has happened! (Identity politics is OUT OF CONTROL) its entertaining to watch... kinda sad actually.

"hate speech" doesnt exist in my mind but yeah its crazy what is happening in EU countries...

Obviously we (as forum admin) dont want to break the law, but also I cant control every single person on my forum and what they say, imagine if as a forum owner someone from the EU says some extremest viewpoint, the LAW comes after us a forum owners. We are prosecuted for this. In Australia we have just had a women lose in Court because on her facebook page someone made a racist comment - because she was the admin of that facebook page someone took offence to the comment (made by some user who cares) and then sued the person that owned the page... and won. Its just CRAZY.

hahah the joys.

should be interesting when Trump wages his war on social media over the next few years...

Back to instagram in Australia they have removed the ability for people to see how many likes an account or post may have... again WTF is going on lol crazy. But who owns instagram? that tells the whole story really.

20. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+765
    I would have loved to have something for tv show/movie spoilers on social media. Granted, I don't use fb, twitter, or IG so it doesn't bother me anymore. Though, general stupidity on display through social media was amusing at the time, it was too much of a time suck. Get on for "5 minutes" and end up pointing out fallacies in people's remarks then turned into 40-60 minutes! lol It always ended up with them being like...
    [​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.