Insane issue

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Lala, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    Hey

We're on vB4, will be switching to Xenforo. One of the forums was set up wrong from the start, and now I need all posts by anyone other than the thread starter, in this one forum, converted into comments. I understand how ridiculous this sounds, but it's not a frivolous request. 10yo site, 40k threads, 300 visitors a day, this issue started hurting us about three years ago. If I close the forum and start from a clean slate, I'll lose most of old members. I'll lose some of them either way, but I can't keep things as they are, the longer I ignore it the worse it gets.

Any pointers? We can't afford to hire developers; I'm comfy with PHP but this is some sort of database manipulations, I don't know what to google even...

Thank you very much!

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,032
    Converting the original posts shouldnt be necessary. Xenporta can change display of threads from a specific forum section into an article/comments view.

3. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    Thank you so much, LeadCrow!

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,102
    I was thinking along the same lines.
    Furthermore - doesn't vBulletin allow the option of changing the view date/listing via the AdminCP? It seems that you can change the view date in the actual forum options.

J.

5. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    No, it's not that. I need posts by the thread starter to be formatted like posts (with postbit, signature, etc), and posts by everyone else formatted like comments (no postbit, no signature, small font, different background, etc). E.g. this thread was started by me, so my three posts in this need to remain as they are, and your post and the post by LeadCrow need to shrink down to comment formatting.

6. PoetJC

+5,102
    Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
    1. You want all the OP's posts to appear before everyone elses replies?
    2. OR are you talking about the actual "look" of other posters' comments?
    As for the first option: I'm not at all sure that's possible without some sort of query and/or more custom code.
    The second option is completely doable by using either vB and/or XF if conditionals. The styling would need to be changed to whatever format you choose. It'll be a bit of template customization, whereas the first option would need custom code... Or so it seems to me. IDK... Hope I've understood what you're specifically trying to do LOL

J.

7. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    lol sorry I was unclear. Option 2 works, preserve order, change display. Feeling silly I didn't think of it, thank you so much!

I was aiming to actually turn them into comments, i.e. that they shouldn't add to your post count, shouldn't be in your latest posts list, etc. I'm planning to disable users from responding to threads they didn't start, and instead enabling comments in that forum. That you should be able to comment on my thread, but not post in it. So I was breaking my head how to convert already existing posts. But now that I think about it - you're right, there's no need to do that, I can just display the old posts as comments, as long as new posts will actually be comments - that's all that matters :)

Thank you!

8. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+449
    I don't think I even understand the distinction. What is the difference between commenting in a thread and posting in it?

9. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    Here's a pic from Xenforo addon (unmaintained)

axenforo_com_community_attachments_17hotpost_png_123404__.png

10. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+449
    And why is this preferable to posts (I think I know the answer, but want to be sure)?

11. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    I don't want members to have conversations in this one forum. It's open to a privileged usergroup only, and is meant for the OP to start one thread and keep updating it. Boils down to blogs structure, let's call it Blogs. Initially members couldn't respond to each other's threads in Blogs. Then an admin allowed it. As a result, over the years Blogs turned into a social hangout of sorts, where privileged users post random content in random threads, no rhyme or reason.
    1. The initial Blogs functionality is lost, while we still need it.
    2. This arrangement undermines forums, where this content should be.
    3. Privileged members get used to rambling without a topic in sight, and repeat the same pattern on forums, which is disruptive.
    Shutting off any ability for them to respond to each other in Blogs would be appreciated by some and resented by others, so I want a middle ground, an option for them to post a short message, more than a "thumbs up" button but less and a response. These comments aren't the content of the thread, so I want:
    1. Character limit on comments, so that members are forced to either stick to their own threads or take the discussion to forums.
    2. Clear visual separation of posts by the OP and comments by everyone else.
    3. I don't want these comments showing up in activity feeds, latest posts, etc. They aren't content.
    Why don't I just use blogs functionality for this:
    1. The content isn't blogging, I don't want to confuse members.
    2. It's not a forum, just like Account Help Desk here at TAZ isn't a forum, but forum setup works fine, we just shouldn't have enabled responses.
    3. It's a part of a section which contains other such non-forums; keeping them where they are and moving this one elsewhere would break the connection, and moving all of them to blogs wouldn't be possible.

12. PoetJC

+5,102
    Yep. What the OP has describes is a blogs type functionality.
    There are blog styling type options/add-ons for XF1.x anyway... I'd implore (if you haven't already done so) to search the XF Resources for blogs.
    There *may* be an add-on already shared for XF2. IDK... But when I saw the screencap example you posted earlier - there was only a one-word thought: blogs.
    So - there may be something *similar* to what you want - but I'm quite sure that you'd need to do some modification or have someone create custom code for you.

J.

13. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    Yes, styling I should be able to do myself, character limit should exist in some shape or form in add-ons, modifications, Xenforo community forums, etc, I should be able to find some pointers on how to do it. And if I can't selectively remove non-OP posts from activity feeds - I'll just remove the entire forum; that's how we have it at the moment, no one complains.

I'm relieved: first, we don't need to do anything on vB, it's something we'll be doing on Xenforo; and second, there will be no need to touch databases. Huge weight off my shoulders. Thank you!

14. PoetJC

+5,102
    Well - to be honest - I'm not exactly sure what you specifically want, as the description you've given leaves much to the imagination.
    I can only hope that you succeed in correctly re-imagining the functionality you need in XF so it works for you and your users' needs.
    Seems a tall order. But the XF script is pretty great. So... At least there is a decent base/upgrade path for you..
    You might actually consider posting your request in the Custom service/development requests on XF.com ;)

J.

15. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    Yes, very much looking forward to XF, already have a list of things to ask them. Still munching on it before posting requests, to not waste anyone's time. Just like with this thread - I was thinking I needed to mess with databases, and it turns out I don't, false alarm. I want to change styling of posts made by anyone other than OP, in one forum, and to enforce a character limit on new posts by anyone other than OP in this same forum. So that responses would be short and look different from OP posts. Should be doable.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.