You're writing some great articles lately, harishankar. Keep them coming :D

3. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thanks Demosthenes! :)

4. shaon

shaon Where is the God?

+1
    Excellent article. I am saving it in my HDD. :)

5. ccs

ccs Aspirant

+1
    Super article, thanks for writing it:wave:

6. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thanks shaon and ccs for your kind words! :)

7. ccs

ccs Aspirant

+1
    Thanks harishanker, I love reading your articles. I hope to see more in the future.

8. Sam_

Sam_ Neophyte

+0
    I really enjoyed reading that.

9. vicshek

vicshek Neophyte

+0
    hi there, i am just an newbie of Admin Zone and glad to see this great article.

For what I have observed in the Internet forums/groups, people stay because of the atmosphere of the community rather than the technological advance (though it's important too). The technology is a ship and the admin teams is the captain.

harishankar said, "Resolve it(conflict) through private communication and keep the forum free of personal issues", I totally agree. Putting things in a public way give you in a risk of no turning back and people become harder to compromise. Using PM(private message) which included in almost every forum software is a smart choice in my opinion.

It's really challenging and fun too to be a leader of virtual community.

10. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+131
    Already used to see good articles from you Hari. even if we disagree in few admin issues I respect your point of view. In fact I find this article to be perfect :)

Keep us entertained with more nice articles ;)

11. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    dojo, thanks a lot. Sorry for the late response. I've been away for a while from TAZ and it's nice to come back and see more positive responses to my article. I appreciate your feedback. :)

12. PapillionPurple

PapillionPurple Habitué

+7
    I'd say even the wording of the rules comes under leadership.
    When I started out with KWO I had a list of very forboding "thou shalt not" style rules, and no reasons why. Consequently I had a fairly high ban rate, and a high infraction rate amongst my members.
    Last October though I had a bit of a freak out over the situation and so my partner and I sat down and looked at the rules.
    We then spent 4 hours rewording them, making them more of requests than demands and explaining why the rules existed. We also devised a positive sanctions system as a flip side to our fairly heavy duty negative sanctions system.
    Currently we are just waiting until our in-house artist becomes available for comission before enacting the positive side of the forum.
    In the last 11 months I have had to ban 2 people. One of who was a compulsive liar and impersonating one of my members on myspace (he's somewhat of a minor celebrity) and the other for trolling. I haven't had to issue warnings to anyone except the troll and it's taken on a more pleasant atmoshphere (or so I hope!)

13. Mephisto

Mephisto Pharaoh

+1
    Another impressive article harishankar, thanks and keep it coming :cheers:

14. Leilani

Leilani Fan

+2
    This article is excellent and should be read by every new admin.

15. democracy

democracy Participant

+0
    Very well written article.

16. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Much appreciated. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.