Important DNS changes on Feb 1 may impact your domain

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by mysiteguy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,991
    Starting February 1st, 2019 there will be no attempt to disable EDNS as reaction to a DNS query timeout.
    This effectively means that all DNS servers which do not respond at all to EDNS queries are going to be treated as dead. It could result in your site being slow to connect to (actually the DNS lookup part, not the connection to your server).

Many domain registrars are not yet compliant with the upcoming change. One of them is popular here (Namesilo).

To test your domain: https://dnsflagday.net/

Additional info: https://www.isc.org/blogs/dns-flag-day/

• Informative! Informative! x 9
    • List
  2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,934
    This is news to me and one of my domains has failed the test so I'll need to address that. Thanks for the info.

3. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+848
    All of mine are good. Thanks for the tip.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+1,958
    Thanks for the heads up, mine domains are fine but email domain has minor issues. Going to send them a reminder.

5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,711
    Thanks for the info...found a minor issue on one of the domains I help admin, and nice to know this ahead of time. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,991
    My domains at namesilo which I have set to use an external DNS provider (DNS Made Easy) work fine, but a few of them using Namesilo DNS failed so I notified them.

I wish this DNS news was more prominent, I didn't know a thing about until this morning when I was lucky to stumble across it. I thought it would be a good idea to share it here and over on xenforo.com

The Internet won't come to a screeching halt, but there are going to be a lot of people out there frustrated when it seems a site is taking forever to connect and they hit the back button.

7. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+319
    All my domains are okay.

8. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,109
    Having read it, I'm not really sure what its about, however ... most of my domains run on a private DNS, I tested them and they all pass.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+261
    thanks for the update. I tested all of my domains and all good.

10. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+156
    Tested mine just now. Read it, seems all I had to test was my server domain which has all my others.

11. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,251
    Thanks for the info mysiteguymysiteguy
    All sites on my server seem fine.

Re:
    we_are_borgwe_are_borg - How do you test for email domain issues?
    Thanks.

J.

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+1,958
    I have a dedicated email domain so i tested that if you want more go to http://internet.nl

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.