Ikeafans.com signs off (for good).

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Digital Doctor, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    [​IMG]

I just decided to drop TigratrusTigratrus GofDGofD a line to see how things were with IKEA trying to shut him down.
    He's a guy who knows what good community software should be.

Before I did, I decided to browse his site and see how things were going. And the bad news was right there. It looks like IKEA the corporate bully finally squished the little guy.

For the the people who don't know the story well ...Long story short. Ikeafans.com and IKEA had a good relationship for many years (9?) until IKEA turned on Ikeafans. IKEA claimed copyright over the URL and sent a Cease & Desist order to Ikeafans last year. In reply, Ikeafans did try to sue IKEA for their questionable behaviour. (and here). But fighting a corporate giant usually doesn't work in the favor of the little guy.

Original TAZ review [here]

upload_2014-11-12_22-59-48.png
    article : http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...olicing-the-web-as-they-take-on-ikeafans-com/

A screenshot from http://www.ikeafans.com/
    upload_2014-11-12_22-28-37.png

Clicking on [Forums] leads to this:
    upload_2014-11-12_22-27-46.png

Keep in touch Tigratrus/GofD.
    :)
    FWIW, I am still boycotting Ikea.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Of course the silver lining is .....
    You can't keep a guy like James down.

http://cultofhealth.com/discussion

He's got a great new site, powered by IPB.

upload_2014-11-12_22-57-15.png

Looks like Xenforo 1.0 wasn't good enough for him !

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  3. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+438
    This story is such a shame. Glad they are focusing their energy and talent on something more positive now though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+84
    It's disgusting to see companies steamrolling their own fans. What did Ikea possibly have to gain from this?

5. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+438
    Bad press? :D

6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    I never went back to IKEA after this.
    So Lame.

7. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,961
    Me either.

cultofhealth.com seems to be gone too

8. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+65
    I've never been to IKEA to begin with.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    It's a bit like the Hotel California, once you are in you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    I've been to Ikea 3 times and I couldn't find the exit on every trip.

11. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+65
    Dont they sell cheap furniture?

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    Here's a handy route finder for your next trip :D

959487df622d26ddb42413e4cb5f05ba--ikea-stores-shop-layout.jpg

Yeah, the kind that requires you to fix part A to part B using parts C, D and E except part D is always missing.

13. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+65
    Why would anyone make a fan site about furniture?

14. Shinjiru

Shinjiru Aspirant

+12
    Ikea are also well known in Malaysia. I like to visit Ikea to look for some special designed nice furniture.

15. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    They recently opened a store in my area, and the media made a pretty big deal out of it, and given the huge turnout for the grand opening, it's obvious they must have a large fan base.

16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    Here's one very good reason and another site that's on IKEA's hit list: http://www.ikeahackers.net/

17. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Why would IKEA go after fan sites ?

18. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,865
    Their lawyers told them to? They felt it diluted the brand name somehow? They thought it might encourage negative comments or bad publicity in some way?

Who knows what goes on in the minds of corporate?

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,524
    Likely the use of the name is the cause, which it is in their right to.

Though I could see someone doing something like: iknoweveryarea.com or some such hehe..

20. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,156
    Ikea is a maze, correct. Their solid wood furniture is quite decent. I usually buy the untreated if I have to, sand it down more, and stain it with what I want and change the hardware. Way easier and cheaper than ordering the oak, walnut, pine or acacia myself and doing everything. :p

That said, I'm going with Howard on this. I also feel it diluted the name of Ikea. "Ikea Fans" may imply that Ikea makes fans (I have no idea if they do, they might, but I've never seen them myself so they're somewhere in the mystical human maze.), and it may cause people to think the site is about their fan range of products.

Costco has no problems with blogs promoting or denigrating the products they sell, including Kirkland products which are rebranded products or slapped onto existing products though manufacturer deals.

It's not a very good comparison, but it does show you that some companies may take offense if they manufacture the products they offer. I seem to recall GM or Ford having issues with some forums several years ago, and trying to have them shut down. Hopefully JoeychgoJoeychgo can set the record straight about that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted