If you start a ProBoards forum you will never own it

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by gogoblender, Apr 14, 2013.

1. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+509
    Is this true?

::foilhat::

gogo

2. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    I think the answer is so obvious now. We should all stop discussing proboards lol, at least IB's topics are somewhat entertaining while proboards is just a complete piece of trash not even worth talking about lol.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    Essentially. Better start anywhere else with a takeout option (typically for money, but it has the merit to exist). Even mediocre hosted forums would be a better option.

4. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Proboards itself is at best mediocre so of course a mediocre hosted forum would be a way better option. XD

5. gogoblender

+509

Hall of famer, please don't take this thread off topic.
    A lot of big boards run on proboard's software, it's not the quality of their hosting I wish discussed here.
    As I've pointed out on these Taz boards for years, free hosting doesn't impact the success of a forum.
    Your comments are kind of irrelevant and not really connected to what I'm attempting to discover and settle though.
    So back on topic okay?
    :centerofuniverse:
    I just wanted to confirm the absolute truth of this ...if someone starts a forum on proboards, its actually true then...they'll never really "own" it?
    Will never be able to take the dbase to their own hosting?
    This is a huge game breaker for me, and would be for anyone who wants to start a forum today...I mean most wanna do it because they want to "own" the revenue stream right?

:)

gogo

6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Unless they change their ToS then as it stands members own the rights to their posted content and they give ProBoards the license to use that content on their service.

I'm pretty sure that as an admin you'll still have the rights to the name/likeness/design, that's owned by ProBoards or anything like that. However, all posts on your forum are licensed to ProBoards and not to you. So if you want to switch software you'll be violating the rights of all those users since you don't have the license to use their posted content...

Not that any of that has ever really stopped anyone from using the crawler converters though.

7. POD

POD Enthusiast

+3
    For anyone who cares, i will give you an example of a forum that is hosted completely for free.
    http://trollzilla.tk

If you are just starting a forum, you may be interested in taking my approach instead of going the route of using proboards or someother sponsored board host. thank you for your times and i am sorry for calling you all n00bs. i should have said beginners, and i apologize for any retention it may have caused in the regions of your posterior.
    POD

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  8. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    From what I hear they like to argue that they own the post content for some reason. However, I would also like to point out that no one's challenged them on this in court yet. Not saying it's a good thing to do, just that if you did grab the data via a converter and they did complain, I suspect you'd probably have... somewhat potentially decent luck legally. After all, quite a few countries don't like companies treating licenses and things like they're services rather than products...

But yes, Proboards does say you can never own your forum content if its hosted with them and claims its stated in their terms of service. A fairly good reason to be a bit hesistant of their services and stick with companies who let you take your own data elsewhere instead.

9. gogoblender

+509
    If every person one by one asked proboards for their "own" content, would it then be possible to say we would reconstruct a forum legally somewhere else from this?

Is this mentioned in their TOS that in trade for their hosting and software, the admin relinquishes the rights to his dbase?

Not saying I like it, but if ultimately control of a revenue stream is what this is all about, it comes off to me as a way of taking advantage of someone who comes to this hobby new, with no idea of "future" income.

Course there's many reasons to run free boards where noone wants to pay a cent...clubs, sports, clans, new admins creating...

:)

gogo

10. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    This is a very, very good and interesting point. I'd love to set up an experiment like this and see the response over there. Lock down registration to invite only, get about 20-50 people onboard and test out the terms and conditions based on common sense.

You know, now you say that, it does make me think it's taking advantage of new forum owners.

It reminds me of PublishAmerica and other vanity publishers in the book publishing world. Lure people in with no experience and the promise of free services, then basically lock their work into 'contracts' they can't escape from and generally foster a sort of cult like mentality.

11. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    Nobody has said that you can't host a site for free.

However, very few successful, large forums can make it on free hosting on a permanent basis, there will come a time when free services will not be enough for your needs.

Your example isn't a very good one to be honest, it may be hosted free but it's not exactly a large board, the limitations of free hosting may be enough for it now but when it grows you'll find you need to upgrade..

12. POD

POD Enthusiast

+3
    which is exactly why its a great place for beginners to start, which was my overall point...

13. Train

Train Bookworm Moderator

+32
    I really don't appreciate it when someone uses the word "n00b" could you kindly tone it down? This is a site for administrators.

As Lyacon has said, no one is saying you can't host a forum for free, what we are saying is the success of that forum is going to be extremely limited in comparison to forums hosted on an established paid hosting solution due to less limitations and policies being enforced which is statistically and factually true.

Then you need to be clear about that when you post, and not try and sound like you know better than everyone else. Please.

14. POD

POD Enthusiast

+3
    um, maybe you misunderstood my point. i'm offering the op an alternative starting point to proboards....

15. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Are you saying that you've found a decent free host (that isn't Proboards) and you're suggesting it?

Because if so, it would be kind of interesting to know the company your site is actually hosted with.

16. POD

POD Enthusiast

+3
    If it came off that way, its probably because i do, with all due respect. i'm just trying to help the beginners out, because i ran a very large proboards once upon a time and it was all for nothing.
    POD

17. POD

POD Enthusiast

+3
    hosting:
    cixx6.com

sql database:
    myfreesql.net

registrar:
    dot.tk

18. Train

Train Bookworm Moderator

+32
    You know, you could be a little bit more respectful of other members. Common sense and ethics and all that.

In regards to you "read better" comment, I'd ask you to do the same with the thread in general. Gogo is not interested in starting a proboards forum, he's interested in the information aspect of it.

Please think before you post, and show some respect. Take this as your verbal warning as well.

19. gogoblender

+509
    I agree that the tone of a post with the words noob and idiots is dismissive and not constructive.

As train mentioned, this is a professional Admin forum, and the art as well as challenge is to find words and a writing style that critique but elevate as well.

Happily satisfied readers are return readers

:banana:

gogo

20. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    If you go into your control panel, under edit your details, you'll see an option for admin experience level, the choices are Beginner Intermediate Advanced Guru - The correct, or at least nicest term, would be beginner not n00b.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.