Idea Funding

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by doubt, Dec 2, 2015.

1. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,054
    http://forums.xf.themehouse.com/threads/introducing-idea-funding.8/#post-32

For $30 it's possible to vote on an idea.
    There is no assurance that the idea will be implemented.
    Any possibility to get back the money spent?

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,178
    As it is, this skin production system may look aimed at supporters of skinshops, but it's a way to significantly defuse the risk inherent to production of expensive skins with deadlines that end just lacking that itty bitty little bit to fully satisfy folks and accomodate others. So really, it's more like Steam's Early Access than crowdfunding.

The fee itself is more an abuse prevention measure and decreases risk and the cost of time lost from unsuccesful ideas or ones slow to bear fruit. Good in theory, the participation fee so far might reduce participation from the hobbyists that spend less than 30$ on skins, but this system appears to not limit the types of feedback one can share, just limit 'wishlists' to serious supporters for whom the earlier norm for paid skinning involved spending dearly (over 100$) yet bearing high risks from unsuccesful delivery of finalized works.

Still a nice concept. Maybe addon makers should consider a similar system, ideally on centralized sites (like XF.com?) that could make ideas resurface more quickly and leverage their common userbase/customerbase to boost 'vote purchases'.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,168
    I'm certain their idea funding is aimed at add-on development and not styles/skins.

Also there doesn't seem to be a clear answer on the money put forward by users whether or not money is returned if the idea falls through.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    $30 to vote on an idea that may or may not be implemented?? Nope. Thanks for the opportunity - but I think I'll pass. Best of luck with the system though.

There are some folks who have money to burn who likely will have no issue whatsoever with dropping $30 for an idea vote. That is not I though LOL. I wish it were LOL. And hmmmm. I *believe* that some 'crowdfunding' type sources dictates that if a certain goal amount is not achieved by such and such a date - that all 'donated' funds are to be returned; that funds are only accessed to the crowdfund owner if/when the certain goal amount is achieved. If that functionality is part of Theme-House's new system - it would make the $30 vote a bit more palatable anyway...

J.

5. HWS

HWS TAZ Member

+140
    Assumption: Your 400 users post 200 ideas. Now each idea needs 10-30 votes (each $30) to reach the goal.

Question:
    How many ideas do you think will get founded?
    How much money will be "earned" from ideas only get 1-3 votes?

6. Somniloquent

Somniloquent Enthusiast

+115
    This idea doesn't stand a chance in its present implementation. Nobody is going to pay them for the privilege of participating in their marketing research, which is what this amounts to. However, the discussion on the xenforo forum is interesting, and maybe this will lead to better ideas. A lot of developers struggle with figuring out how to make their work financially rewarding. It's good to see them tackling the challenge in an interesting way, even if it doesn't work out.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  7. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    Yeah, the idea might seem good on paper, but it defiantly needs some more thought put into it. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.