I think I may have found a bug in the post rating system

Danielx64

Developer
Not sure if it a TAZ issue but this is going in the XF forum as this could be a bigger problem, if you make a post, someone rate that post then it get moved into a secret forum the rating doesn't go down on your profile. Is that expected and do you think that the rating should go down when such a thing happens?

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I don't see why it would. The rating is still there and hasn't been removed, so why wouldn't it be counted? The only time it should disappear is if the post is deleted.

Danielx64

Developer
There an idea, make the rating work on permissions, so if a post goes to a forum that that person cant see than the goes down and once the member can see the post then it goes up again.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
There an idea, make the rating work on permissions, so if a post goes to a forum that that person cant see than the goes down and once the member can see the post then it goes up again.
Why stop at ratings? How about post count?

Danielx64

Developer
I was under the impression that it was already done on the post count, unless it the forum index only.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I was under the impression that it was already done on the post count, unless it the forum index only.
The way I think it works is that if postcount is counted inside a forum (secret or not) it's added to your postcount. If the forum doesn't increment postcount then it's not. Otherwise, if you're a staff member on a forum and post in a staff forum, then stop being a staff member - you'd lose the count of all the posts in the forum that's now hidden from you - and that doesn't happen; same with post ratings. You don't lose them just because you can no longer view the area.

NickCF

I come from a land Down Under...
The way I think it works is that if postcount is counted inside a forum (secret or not) it's added to your postcount. If the forum doesn't increment postcount then it's not. Otherwise, if you're a staff member on a forum and post in a staff forum, then stop being a staff member - you'd lose the count of all the posts in the forum that's now hidden from you - and that doesn't happen; same with post ratings. You don't lose them just because you can no longer view the area.
Indeed.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
FWIW we don't adjust the like count in the scenario you describe either; so it's not really exclusive to post ratings.

Danielx64

Developer
Just thinking about it, doing it by view permission could be painful in term of performance with the time needed to the required sql stuff.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I don't see why it would. The rating is still there and hasn't been removed, so why wouldn't it be counted? The only time it should disappear is if the post is deleted.
Kinda off-topic. Okay - kinda very off-topic, but I had a similar question/thought about the Bookmarks functionality, only revise the bold portion above to, "The bookmark is still there and hasn't been removed, so why wouldn't it still be bookmarked?" o_O

Seems the bookmarks functionality suggestion has been implemented? Quite nice to see. :tup:

I'm not at all sure about the amount of page queries and all that jazz. But as for the rating going down as was suggested in the op ... Naw. You've made a post and the rating should stand. Whether your usergroup has been downgraded - or whether your permissions for the particular forum has changed or not- your post is still intact, thus the post rating should be intact as well? The only reason a post rating should change, imo, is if the post has been deleted from public view or the post rater has changed their rating from say creative to paranoid...

J.