I think I hit a slump...

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by cpvr, Dec 13, 2007.

1. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    I've been busting a ton of new threads - especially chat-type threads on my community and we're continuing to average 200 posts/day. I'm not sure if its the Christmas holidays that are coming up - or should I just go with the flow and stay laid back and hope luck comes our way.

Is it just me or is everyone's forum activity down this month from previous months?

2. Hovik

Hovik Aspirant

+1
    All forums are down. Well at least the ones I visit or own.

3. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    What type of a community are you running buddy?

4. RHawes

RHawes Fan

+22
    My forum has been quieter for the past few weeks. It has been more active this week, but I think that's because we have a new story anthology tomorrow and the members always get excited about that. I'm sure things will pick up once Christmas is out of the way. :)

5. Hangman

Hangman Tazmanian

+269
    Quiet here too. Even my moderator hasn't stopped in for ages. Hopefully a launch which is on the horizon might spark a bit of interest :p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  6. GTman

GTman Participant

+1
    Yep, seems all forums I'm on have slowed down. I think it's just the time of year. It's the silly season.

Everybody's off Christmas shopping, attending Christmas parties, going on holiday, etc...

7. d8tabyte

d8tabyte Habitué

+4
    Ive been reviewing my stats getting ready for my year end review, I've noticed something interesting - the traffic for the site has increased year to year - with a total jump of 218% in total number of visits from 06 to 07 DEC. Unique visitors has gone up 511%, while hits and pageloads have actually dropped. Pages dropped 27% while hits dropped 25.8%. This could be attributed to a slower year within the forums and more users visiting the site to read the front page content.

Overall, my forums have been significantly lower in regards to posts and threads this year over last year - but again - uniques and visits are way up, which in the end is more beneficial as far as monetizing and managing bandwith anyway..

8. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    What's funny though is that the number of daily unique visitors + pageviews is higher.

9. d8tabyte

d8tabyte Habitué

+4
    :) See my post above

10. pixel

pixel Aspirant

+2
    Yeah we've definitely slowed down this month.

11. ablaye

ablaye Enthusiast

+2
    People are getting lazy, I guess. Too much things to do for the holidays.

12. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Forums always slow down when the Christmas Holidays near. Well to be truthful, there are some forums that maintain activity during the Christmas season.

I always recommend Administrators holding some type of contest which would encourage the following:

1) Active users to participate so they've got a chance of winning the prize or prizes you're offering.

2) Make inactive users come back, and take a chance to win the prize or prizes you're offering.

The best idea is to make a thread in your site feedback section, or better yet a site wide announcement. You can also send out an email, so that inactive users will come back in participate in the festivities. :)

A $25 to $50 Amazon gift certificate, or the same amount in PayPal is a nice prize to work with. A customer user icon would also make them feel that it's worthy to enter.

13. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    I see - but what if you're low on the funds - because you have a baby on the way, what free methods do you recommend?

14. kilcher

kilcher Devotee

+20
    Name your baby after the winner of the contest! :D

15. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    Huh, no. My baby already has a set name. lol! good joke though

16. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Plan B has always been making them member of the month. This usually involves in a small image placed under the avatar, or next to it depending on how your forum's style is set up. In your forum's case, it's next to the avatar. A nice graphics that says member of the month will make them feel good. In fact, they should feel good. When you do something like that, your members give more respect towards you and others. This is also a great way to make lurkers post, and guests to join.

17. Nick25

Nick25 Fan

+2
    I have thought about Member of the Month, but I never really thought it was that great of an idea or thing to do.

18. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    My users suggested it in the past but we just don't have enough staff to make it happen.

19. Nick25

Nick25 Fan

+2
    Maybe you could recruit somebody to just manage that?
    If it's something your members asked for, then I would definitely engage in it. (That's just me, though)

20. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+164
    Ya, well, our members are busy with school. I'm not sure if there's anyone who is willing to help us to do that. Our members are lazy. They don't even care about contests that we run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.