I need to build a database...

Discussion in 'Programming' started by darnoldy, Aug 14, 2018.

1. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+455
    Okay, so this has nothing to do with forums—but you folks know stuff!

I need to build a database, and a front-end form. A non-profit that I work with has information about the people they work with scattered across a bunch of Google sheets created by different people with different permissions--its a nightmare to maintain.

A dozen years ago, I would have created this in Excel and written scripts to display and edit the data.

Now, I think an HTML page with a form linked to a database on our server is a better solution.

I can create the form (I know HTML, CSS and a bit of Javascript)-- but have no idea how to make the rest of it happen.

Is there something off-the-shelf that I should be looking at? Is there a PHP(?) library that is should use? Where do I start?

Thanks!

--don

2. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    look at wordpress , most likly has a plugin that will do what you want

3. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+178
    Load up wordpress or drupal and add civicrm as a module. Seriously good open source contact tracking application.

4. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+455
    Thanks, guys!

I have wordpress, never thought to use it for this application.... Matthew SMatthew S civiccrm looks really interesting.

--don

5. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    make sure you use wordfence ive recently had a life altering event due to wordpress vulnerabilities

6. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+455
    this particular site will be in a restricted-access directory anyway-- Its our internal staff site.

7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,054
  8. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+455
    Matthew SMatthew S : If you have some expertise with civiCRM, I'd like to have a larger conversation with you about it.

9. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+455
  10. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+178
    Sure. I won't say I'm an expert, but I've gotten my hands dirty in it for my engineering society at university. Ask here or in a PC. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.