I miss vBulletin's Reputation system

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Lisa, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,403
    Dying of jealousy :ROFLMAO:

2. Karll

Karll Adherent

+155
    I'm a skilled admin who needs very little support! Just saying :)

I've only every used the VB reputation system on one forum (VB3) where I was just a regular member. It was great, but that crowd consisted mostly of older, mostly thick-skinned (or sometimes just thick ...) males.

I'm unsure if the members of my own forum would fare well with a reputation system.

3. Lisa

+8,403
    :ROFLMAO: I probably found that funnier than it was! :ROFLMAO:

4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,036
    Yes. The reputation system is just one of the things I miss about VB.

The current system is okay, but receiving a "like" often feels more like "I might agree, but couldn't be arsed to add to the discussion, so I'll click this button instead." The old reputation or karma system was separated from the actual discussion. I've given reputation points to people I didn't agree with, but appreciated how they argued their side of the discussion. We don't have an icon for that now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    I still miss the "drama queen" rating :cry:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Lisa

+8,403
    I kinda didn't want to hit like but I don't have reputation points to dish out so had to use that instead.

I think you've hit what I really liked about it - the way it was completely separate from the discussions. I like that it was mostly between you and the person you were sending it to (I can't recall for sure whether other people could view the rep messages you'd received. I know we had the little dots showing the amount of rep we had in the postbit). And, like you, I would give out rep to people who I didn't agree with but thought they made a good argument for their stance.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,270
    Ditto. I think it's an excellent way of promoting further dialogue. I often don't agree with a member's view but I really appreciate that they've taken the time and effort to express it to the best of their ability.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+951
    I liked that one too.

Maybe we'll get it back with an XF2 upgrade now that they're all hidden in a popup instead of always on show as per the current system. Means you can have a lot more even if some aren't used that frequently.

9. Lisa

+8,403
    Being able to put a note in the rep saying so also stopped it turning into a "yeah but hear me out" back and forth in the thread itself. Always a bonus.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+247
    agreed, sometimes just a "great job" or something can actually mean a lot and really appreciated.

11. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,761
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Lisa

+8,403
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+15
    Whats the use ??
    Forum Scripts are dead by there own GODs.. (developer mess, happening since last 23+ YEARS)

g00GLE Panda still active on same !!!! where few made fortune.
    lol.. and rest died.

Do not let the penguin hit,
    By unnecessarily begging for help on every low leveled site in terms of google !!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Lisa

+8,403
    What's the use of what?

I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+134
    Forum scripts are another term for forum software. Not sure what the GOD acronym is (Galactic Obliteration Device?)

Google Panda and Google Penguin were the code names for their algorithm updates in search queries and how the results were ranked.

I'm not sure how that ties into the current conversation about the reputation system (which I also miss) from vBulletin...

16. Lisa

+8,403
    Hehehe, yeah I understand the terms - Forum Script, Google Panda and Google Penguin - it was all the words surrounding them that confused the issue :ROFLMAO:

17. Lisa

+8,403
    Also... if that's not what it meant... it should. I think it's become my favourite term of the day!

18. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,217
    He's not as think you drunk he is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,203
    You are not alone. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.